Author Topic: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin - Family background  (Read 7409 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: glasgow children boarded out in tomintoul, tomnavoulin - Family background
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 September 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry, me again.  There were very many children brought to Tomintoul and surrounding farms.  Have just found a census report from 1891 and from just 3 houses on the main street of Tomintoul there were 10 boarding children - one from Selkirk, the others from Glasgow.  All 3 neighbouring houses had boarded children, including several siblings.  6 in one house, 3 in another, and one in the last.  Staggering.  You wonder how the schools coped (- they all list them as scholars.)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 September 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
You wonder how the kids coped more like. A lot of Glasgow kids who were sent to the Heilans by the Corporation were more or less used as slave labour on farms. Six kids in one household probably indicates that they were being farmed themselves.

Skoosh.

Offline fiftywinds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 August 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Been a while. I was in the Mitchell Library last week and was looking up the records of the children boarded out in Tomintoul. The records are absolutely brilliant. Found my Kellys. The children were generally well treated and there is a note in one of the records saying that after the death of a wife, the husband was bereft and it was one of his boarded out children who came back and helped him through the difficult times. There was evidence of "real affection".  The other note of interest was how "the rarified air of Tomintoul seems to combat successfully with their(the children) scrofulous nature." Lovely way to put it.
Franx