Author Topic: Help, please. Are these photos taken in/near Dunse?  (Read 14509 times)

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help, please. Are these photos taken in/near Dunse?
« on: Saturday 16 March 13 19:38 GMT (UK) »
My great grandparents lived in Dunse and I have recently been given an old album of photos taken in Dunse by photographers, D Davidson of Castle Street, Dunse and George Bruce, Mansefield, Dunse. The photo of the house was taken by D Davidson. Unfortunately the other two have nothing on the back. They look as though they were of a school. Can anyone identify the house or the school building?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help, please. Are these photos taken in/near Dunse?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't recognise these buildings but I could do a bit of asking around for you. I have quite a few photos of my family by Davidson too
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 13 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the reply.
The design of the house seems quite different for the area. The female side of the family lived in Edrom, Duns and Chirnside although I think there is a house at the bottom of the hill in Allanton that is a bit different as well. 
I just received about 30 photos, most of which were taken by Davidson. It is very frustrating that there are no names on any but two. However they were definitely from my Dad's side so that helps a little!
If you know of anyone who might be help please feel free to show the photos to them.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 March 13 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I've sent the photos to a few people from the Duns area so let's see what comes back
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi excel,

My wife's grandparents lived in Dunse and she spent some time there, but doesn't recognise the house and where the children are does't ring a bell either.

Have you tried the Borders F.H.S.?
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 13 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beckey,
Thanks, I haven't tried Borders FHS yet as thought I would give it a few more days on this forum. I am going to Hawick during the week and hope to pop into the Hub to see if they have anything there.
Rae

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
For the latter two photos with the posed groups would the Wellnage be a candidate? Looks like it was possibly taken in front of a reasonably large house and probably not facing a road. Unfortunately Scotland's places only has the one photo:

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=95371

I'd guess the photos were 1860s-1870s from the outfits.

S_L

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
If you check out my photos in the link below you will see more photos from Davidsons

https://picasaweb.google.com/116963551176633460079/Bogend

I'm still racking my brains as to where the large houses are in your photos

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 March 13 20:55 GMT (UK) »
S_L,
thank you very much for the reply. I think you have cracked it. Now to find out if it was a school at one time. I am hoping to go to the Heritage Hub at Hawick tomorrow so will see if they have anything they can add.
What a pity that is the only photograph but the stone and windows are similar. I have now found this description on Historic Scotland website from their listed building report:

Quote: ..... entrance on S return with polished ashlar Tuscan Doric pilastered doorpiece at ground; 2-leaf panelled doors in round-headed doorway with corresponding plate glass fanlight;"

This seems to be the description of the doorway in the photo. Although it isn't too clear I think they are definitely ashlar Tuscan doric pilasters each side of the door.
Thank you. Will keep you posted if I find anything.
Rae