Author Topic: Help, please. Are these photos taken in/near Dunse?  (Read 14566 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help, please. Are these photos taken in/near Dunse?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Map here just for background from 1857 http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch/view/?sid=74426544

Both Wellnage and Todlaw show on this, but cannot see Blythbank except it seems to be in the general area where Blythbank seems to be today (I clicked on the map here www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37036003.html which pinpoints where Blythbank is located today). Might fit with what you are thinking Rae.

Monica

Added: Actually, Todlaw and Blythbank must be separate properties altogether. We had the Swinton sisters living at Blythbank in 1871. This is the household at Todlaw, also 1871:

Mary Ferguson 66 Income Derived From Interest Of Money, b. Coldingham, Berwickshire
Margaret Ferguson 34 daughter  Income Derived From Interest Of Money b. Dunse
Fanny Robertson 25 servant

Address: Todlaw, Dunse
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Just been looking at Maxwell Ancestry which is great for this part of Scotland. They offer the option to search by address only and also, like FreeCen, you can go previous/next household.

This looks to be Welnage in 1851 www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=73503004 and 1841 www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=73505002

You can follow the enumerator's path this way. Matches what we are seeing on that NLS map...still can't see Blythbank on this though...

On a more general point, this is an address search in 1861 Berwickshire with the word 'school' in it from Maxwell Ancestry - www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61address.aspx  Didn't think it really helped with this search but adding here just for background.

Monica

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Monica, thank you again .How strange that Blythbank isn't coming up on any early maps. That old map you gave me the link for is very clear, thanks.
I see from the property sale that there is also a building called Ellnabe Cottage in the same area. Not that that gets me anywhere!
Unfortunately my friend who has moved back to Duns has just gone on holiday for 2 weeks!
Re the dating, I don't know. Is it ok to put a message on the photo dating forum with a link to this post?
I will get back to this later.
Very grateful for your help.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I would start a new dating post, adding once again the two school related photos on there, and then the link back to this post for background.

Monica

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:09 GMT (UK) »
The photo forum is the best place to get an answer, I'd suggested 1860s-70s but you'd be better off with a more informed guess as there's a chance they could be far more precise. Expect to get a few more questions about the photo itself e.g. size, what it is mounted on, whether there is anything on the back and so on.

S_L

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

Some time ago I posted this photo which dates to the 1860's -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,275267.msg1592267.html#msg1592267

ev

Added - on the 1881 Census George Bruce age 49 photographer Mansfield Dunse , in 1861 he was a plumber.
The other photographer may have been Duncan Davidson age 52 7 Castle St Dunse in 1881.
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=73903011
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Does look like a similar period doesn't it.

Just adding this for now to the possible pile - Wellfield House, Duns shows as a school in 1871. James Wood, his wife and children, and a brother are there. James as schoolmaster, his two eldest daughters and brother, show as teachers. About 40 boys aged 12-16 show there (no girls). 1861 here www.maxwellancestry.com/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=73503080

Have to admit, I have spent the last 24 hrs looking at all these lovely houses in Duns! This one is particularly beautiful www.periodproperty.co.uk/ppuk_discovering_ppom_201104.shtml

This looks to be the back (huge property), haven't been able to find the front of it so far. Used to be a guest house at one point.

Map location from here - think it is the correct one at this stage http://canmoremapping.rcahms.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_advanced&idnumlink=95378

This shows early 19th C which I don't understand except it went though major renovations in 1903 www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-26576-preston-road-wellfield-house-with-gatepie:

Alexander was later to marry Isabella Rodick in 1902 and was able to buy his old school and turn it into a fine house.www.dunsehistorysociety.co.uk/cumledge.shtml

Wellfield House shows clearly on the 1857 NLS map (north east).

Monica

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, again.
Monica, I hope you have had some sleep in between!
Wellfield House looks beautiful. It's amazing that over the years I have passed so near to all those houses and didn't know they existed. Brought up in the wrong circles, obviously!
Will get those photos onto the dating page.
I have had to copy all the messages onto Word so that I can grasp all the information I have received!
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 March 13 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Two Rootschat members on the photo dating website have kindly taken time to look at the school groups and have given me an approximate date - early to mid 1860's.
Rae