Author Topic: 1820's emigrates to canada  (Read 8817 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: 1820's emigrates to canada
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 July 04 19:38 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you are looking for Cdn. information or info in Ireland.  Have you tried looking at inGenea in Cda?  Another place is ships.list - tedious, but due to earliness might find something.  Have no idea where to look up anything in Ireland.  What about an Historical Society in Drummondville?  You probably know more about sources than me. Hv a great day.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline tj100

• RootsChat Extra
  • looking forwards to the past!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 July 04 22:42 BST (UK) »
Lauraine, thanks for suggestions. igneaus didn't have anyone close to the dates I want. Guess I'll keep hunting, tj
Norfolk and Suffolk: allen, bentley, edwards, green(e), king, long, mansfield,, reeve, reynolds, salmon Essex: page, palmer, nice London: greenland, Yorkshire: fox, harrison, hepinstall, hirst, holland, more to come.....

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 July 04 23:12 BST (UK) »
Are your Palmers from Bristol.  Not my family, but have some local info on Arthur Palmer, 1831-1924 m. Florence Felicia.  Also a couple of pictures in the local historical book. 
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 July 04 04:10 BST (UK) »
 Hi Liana:  Hope you have found something about the 1820 emigrants to Canada.  The major emigration occured in 1840's and 1850's from Scotland and Ireland.  1820's is still time of fur traders with French and some UK emigrants.  Gov't decided to try and get more emigrees mid century when fur trade was tapering off. 
Wanted to settle Manitoba to keep it from U.S. control - what better way than with British subjects, many Scots.  Not sure about the Irish who couldn't have been too happy with being starved off their meager crofts.  Mid century was the time of great famine in Ireland - also time of "famine ships".  Very sad reading - many Irish went to
Australia, U.S. as well as Canada.  Good hunting.  Lauraine

Offline ednaroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 October 04 04:38 BST (UK) »
oswald reynolds was my father. he had 2 brothers sid and cyril. All immigrated to toronto in 1918.
Oswald worked for prudential, cyril was a bank manager and sid had his own insurance company.
I am the daughter of oswald reynolds and ada Clarke.
I am Edna, born Dec.20,1923.
please relply.

Offline tj100

• RootsChat Extra
  • looking forwards to the past!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 October 04 12:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Edna,

I've sent a message to your mailbox in response to your daughter's/son's post.

My grandmother Dorothy was your father's cousin, the only one of five sisters to marry. I think this means you're my great aunt!

Dorothy had four children, all who will be thrilled to discover their cousin. Once I've got your email address I'll tell you all I know.

Which brother was your father's dad? I'm not sure about that at the moment.

So nice to hear from you.
Norfolk and Suffolk: allen, bentley, edwards, green(e), king, long, mansfield,, reeve, reynolds, salmon Essex: page, palmer, nice London: greenland, Yorkshire: fox, harrison, hepinstall, hirst, holland, more to come.....

Offline cfilmcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 June 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
Re Reynolds to Canada

My Grandfather was Oswald Reynolds that you are talking about, my mother is Edna.
I have an old photo album of their trip to England in the 30's.
If I ever go to Norwich are their still cousins there?

Offline cfilmcat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 June 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see I have found you except my old computer crashed and I lost all your contact info.
Cathryn--Ednas Daughter