Author Topic: 1820's emigrates to canada  (Read 8820 times)

Offline tj100

• RootsChat Extra
  • looking forwards to the past!!
    • View Profile
1820's emigrates to canada
« on: Friday 09 July 04 10:43 BST (UK) »
does anyone know of any resource for tracing emigrants in the 1820/30's. A family member William Reynolds emigrated after his farm in the uk failed, the only record I have is from the farm disposal which states he was now living in Upper Canada.
Norfolk and Suffolk: allen, bentley, edwards, green(e), king, long, mansfield,, reeve, reynolds, salmon Essex: page, palmer, nice London: greenland, Yorkshire: fox, harrison, hepinstall, hirst, holland, more to come.....

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1820's emigrates to canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 04 19:34 BST (UK) »
tj,

Can you give me any more details about your William Reynolds - his date of birth, which county, village, etc. he came from in the UK - when did he leave England? Do you know of a middle name or initial?
I'm in Ontario, Canada and am familiar with some of the on-line resources if you would like me to have a look.
Foxglove
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline tj100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 04 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer foxglove. William was born in mid Norfolk, probably the parish of Reymerstone in the district of Mitford and Launditch (Great Witchingham and Dereham were the biggest towns in the area). All his siblings were born there. He signed over his farm in 1832 and left for Canada almost immediately. His fathers will of 1813 says he was married, but I've not found any further reference. He was probably born between 1785 - 89.

Separately, a closer relative Oswald H. Reynolds born 1893/4 in Norwich, Norfolk was last heard of living at 47 Mahoney Ave., Toronto No. 9 in 1941.
He had a daughter Edna, and I think sons Sid and Cyril. I don't know when he left England. He did work for the Prudential Insurance Co. of America.
Norfolk and Suffolk: allen, bentley, edwards, green(e), king, long, mansfield,, reeve, reynolds, salmon Essex: page, palmer, nice London: greenland, Yorkshire: fox, harrison, hepinstall, hirst, holland, more to come.....

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 July 04 22:03 BST (UK) »
TJ,
I thought I found your man as he fits the age but the one I have is from Cornwall.
Here is the address for the 1871 census of Canada which is searchable. I don't see any there who are old enough but you should also have a look.
http://130.15.161.100/census/
I tried another website which lists immigrants but did not see a William Reynolds who is the right age, once again.
www.ingeneas.com
I also tried the Canadian County Digital Atlas project but did not see a likely candidate.
digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/search.htm
The 1881 Census of Canada which is on-line at LDS Family Search did not reveal anyone the right age, once again.
I may still be able to find something but it will take a little time.
Foxglove
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline tj100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 July 04 23:54 BST (UK) »
thanks for looking foxglove, it's a difficult one I know. Anything that helps is gratefully appreciated. Likewise if there's anything you need from east of the pond in Norfolk then don't hesitate to ask-but no promises!

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 July 04 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi TJ:  Hv you tried www.ingeneas.com.  It is a fairly good site and a lot of info can be mined prior to paying any money.    Another site is cousins.connect.  Once into the site, put in Canada and then Province you are interested in.  Canada is a huge huge country compared to UK and many early settlers moved West.  The ingeneas site does give the place the info came from.  It only gives people not born in Canada.   It realy pays to use the Soundex on Ingenea, but try both ways to save time.  L.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Liana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wiltshire
    • View Profile
Re: 1820's emigrates to canada - Doyle (Doole) & Coughlan 1823 Drummondville, Q
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 July 04 03:29 BST (UK) »
My Irish Doyle and Coughlan came to Drummondville, Quebec prior to 1823, when their daughter, Mary Anne Doyle, was born.  The name was changed to Doole in the French-Canadian bible records.

Does anyone know of sources for the Irish in that area of Quebec in the 1820's?

Wiltshire - Simpkins, Rudman, Tanner, Fell

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 July 04 04:37 BST (UK) »
Saw a Mary Anne DOOLE m. Josephp BRUNELLE, Xmas eve 1837 on Roots.Web Message Boards for Drummond, Quebec.  Later lived in St. Maurice, Champlain, Quebec.  You might want to check this out.  It was near the end of the boards.  Hope this helps.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Liana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 July 04 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Thanks - at least I know someone reads my posts...it was mine!  ;D

Hilmarton, Wiltshire surnames:
c1790-1870
Simpkins
Rudman