Author Topic: Pay to view Sites Covering County Clare  (Read 17464 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pay to view Sites Covering County Clare
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 May 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
The ones showing up in the "histories" are not likely to be mine. If you read up on them their wives get a mention and while some of them are Bridgets (seems every third woman was a Bridget) they are not McMahons. My William was a "labourer" from NZ records but they generaly gave the lion share of the estate to the eldest son and the younger siblings had to fend for themselves. While the girls had the option of marrying well, the boys had to make their own way. Would not take many generations before your (distant) relatives were in sod shacks. Verbal family history says John was an only son, but have found the danger of that when another GreatGpa turned out to have 11 siblings, but who had all died in childhood. In that case the widowed mother aka "the crazy aunt" followed said son out to NZ and did a 4 year (1880-84) Evangelical speaking tour of NZ and Auz and was a HIT sensation, before an adulterous scandel and departed for California (with new man) and outsurvived him (son) till 1925. Fortunately a GreatAunt went to visit her and the American records gave confirmation of it all.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 October 15 00:42 BST (UK) »
Alas now we can see the parish registers Bridget clearly has the word illegitimate in her entry.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 October 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Not a pay per view but a free one  ;D

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm
Thank you so much for posting this. Did a search not expecting much but I may have linked some names form Kiltanlea and surrounds all the way to Kapunda South Australia . Gives me hope to investigate some more so thanks you once again :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 December 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leandra Both Marriage and Death just said Co. Clare. Hit the same wall with all my Irish ancestors ie only County listed.

Do you have printouts of the births of his children?   If he was the informant he may have given more detail.

I have one ancestor whose death certificate says Cornwall, but when he registered a daughter he said he was born in Berkshire (and that matches the ship manifest).

Another says Scotland on death certificate, but Edinburgh on the child's birth registration.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
No as a NZ birth cert would not have that info. As this is my grandparents generation living memory and what is available online for free has given me almost as much info as a certificate would.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 December 15 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Birth printouts in NZ from about the 1880s onward have the place of birth of the parents.   I don't know whether this is on a Birth Certificate, but it is on the printout.  It may just say Co Clare or Ireland though.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 December 15 01:30 GMT (UK) »
 :-[ By jingo Hurworth you are right. When I looked at my files it was mostly marriage and death certs of my Greats and Greatgreats. I had been thinking that as I knew when, where and by whom my Grandparents and Great Uncles and Aunts were born that there was no need for them. Looks like DIA is about to get more of my money
I have been PMed that a John Butler's baptism is showing up in 1860 with a default date, residence at Bunahow and William described as a Gentleman but so far have not found it in the registers myself. Yet both his marriage and death certs describe his Father as a Labourer. In Oct 1920 he has a circa birth of 1862 and in Nov 1896 he has a circa birth of 1863. Then there is Bridget described as illegitimate in Jan 1865.  :-\

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 December 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Well if the landed Butlers of Bunahow are my ancestors then John was a bastard son of either William Thomas Butler 1838-1867 or  :o his Grandfather William Butler 1784-1871.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 December 15 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Have come across a snippet that William Butler of Bunnahow continued to exercise the feudal custom/right of brides on their wedding night being sent up to the main house to spend it with William. It did not indicate which of the possible Williams it was, but William I lasted till 1823 and implies a family mind set.