Author Topic: Winnifred RICHARDS Born 1911 at Millpool Germoe  (Read 5595 times)

Offline mkr123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Winnifred RICHARDS Born 1911 at Millpool Germoe
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 04:34 GMT (UK) »
My first cousin, thrice removed, was born Winnifred Richards to a single mother Jane Richards in 1911.  The 1911 census states she was one month of age at the time of the census.  They lived at Millpool Cottage in Germoe.  Other than the census record,  I cannot locate any vital records for Winnifred at all.  I haven't seen online parish baptismal records as late as 1911.  They are four parishes within a few miles range:  Germoe, Breage, St Hilary, and the now redundant St John the Baptist Church in Godolphin parish.  Winnifred's mother worked as a cleaning woman (charwoman) and died a spinster. Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Winnifred Richards Born 1911 at Millpool Germoe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 13 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Census taken 2 April. So she was born around Feb-March, if she was a month old at the census.
Therefore could be expected to be registered in the March Quarter?
Helston is the RD covering Germoe, the stated place of her birth. In Helston (searching all months 1911):
No registration for a Win* Richard*
No registration for any "Richard* that looks fitting. (Wilmot W is probably a boy?!)

There is Winifred J RICHARDS, Redruth Mar Qtr 1911

There is :
Winifred WILLIAMS - Mar Qtr Helston

Could she be WILLIAMS, and  an 'adopted' daughter of Jane RICHARDS?

Why would you think Winnifred might have followed her older cousin to Devon?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,639928.0/topicseen.html

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 13 05:10 GMT (UK) »
When Jane RICHARDS died, did she leave a will or an Admon? Which may have mentioned family members?

Cheers
AMBY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline mkr123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 13 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Winnifred J Richards from Truro isn't the correct person and she wasn't a Williams.  I don't think there was a birth record registered because she was illegitimate.  I have searched all of the Cornwall records available online.  I can't find parish baptism records from 1911 online so there may be something there and I can't see it. I cannot find a marriage or death record in Cornwall so therefore I thought she might have moved to Devon.  I can't seem to figure out the Devon OPC records.  It isn't like the online Cornwall database.  There was no will when her mother died.  Mother was listed as spinster on death record and body was found dead by a non-relative.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 08:53 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there was a birth record registered because she was illegitimate.

By 1911 ALL births had to be registered - by law! ;D
But there may not have been a baptism?

Father's name will have only been entered at registration if he gave permission.
I would go for the Winifred registered at Redruth, I think ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 13 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have to say, in the same way as you believe but have no proof, that Winifred's birth wasn't registered due to her illigitimacy - you also currently have no proof Jane actually did give birth to Winifred or, for example, that WILLIAMS wasn't the name she was registered as.  A statement on a Census is not proof of either.

Winfred could as easily have been Jane's 'adopted' child as anything else, and by 'adopted' in that time, I don't mean officially - I mean if the child was passed to her and often in that type of circumstance, the birth mother was a family member of some sort.  This scenario, I believe would have been more likely than  being illegally unregistered due to her mother being unwed. And in the family, perhaps this wasn't a big scandal anyway , since Janie's sister had at least 2 illigitimate children.

Having said all of that, I do think now, the Winifred WILLIAMS birth reg. Mar Qtr 1911 belongs to a 1mth old wee girl  I found on Family Search in the Helston RD area . Which is not to say she's not your Winfred, listed twice........another not-unheard-of occurence in census.

BUT here's the thing!  I think you do have  consider the Birth Registration for Wilmot W RICHARDS in the March Qtr Helston after all!    Wilmot is a  girls name - I just immediately thought it was only a boys name, and it's not  :D

To illustrate, I just found 2 Wilmot girls and an adult, in Cornwall:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7LR-XLK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X7G9-9GC
Wilmot Clarice RICHARDS birth reg. 1905 in Redruth.

What's the bet your lass is  Wilmot Winifred?    After all, apparently (from your other topic at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,595997.0.html
...her cousin May was actually baptised as Amelia, and Amelia's brother Sampson was baptised as Granville!

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline mkr123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 13 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I will look into Wilmot Richards.  I know Winnifred from Redruth is not mine because I already sent for her birth certificate.  I'd still appreciate anyone who has access to records in person for help in research.  I believe I have exhausted what is online.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 March 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
members of the public do not have access to birth registers. You could ask the registrars in Truro to search for you, supplying the info that you have.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=14466
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline mkr123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Winnifred RICHARDS Born 1911 at Millpool Germoe
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 October 15 06:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you