Author Topic: Wyle Cop Farm  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wyle Cop Farm
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Has anyone heard of Wyle Cop Farm.
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wyle Cop Farm
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 13 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
May or may not be relevant but here is a passage from The Clwyd Powis Archaeological Trust website;
http://www.cpat.org.uk/projects/longer/histland/caersws/1178.htm

"Probable pre-Roman Iron Age settlement and land use is indicated by the Wyle Cop enclosure which lies on the side of a stream to the north of Llanwnog and the Gwynfynydd enclosure which lies on sloping ground north of Caersws, both enclosing areas of about 0.3 hectares. The course of the Roman road north from the Roman fort at Caersws passes roughly along the line of the modern road at Llwyn y Gog running in the direction of Dolanog in the Banwy valley."

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »

The only other Wyle Cop I know is in Shrewsbury.  :)

Not sure of the origin of 'Wyle' but I believe 'Cop' is an old English word for 'summit'.

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 March 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your replies, I was only guessing that it could be Llanwnog, I am looking moew info on my great great grandparents William Jones & Elizabeth Davies at the time of their Marriage he was living in Wyle cop farm Elizabeth was in Aberhasaph (sorry for the any mis spellings). His Father was Samuel Jones her father was called Richard Davies. 
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 March 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
One think I do know is That Elizabeth & William lived in Llanwnog on a farm after they married, which is on another post. I was hoping to find out a little bit more on the farm that William was living at at the time of his marriage, and who actually owned the farm. if that's possible

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 13 13:17 GMT (UK) »
looking at the cert again it was just wyle cop not wyle cop farm silly me.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but says its  wylie cop LLanwnog.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Wyle Cop is right by Rholau from your previous enquiry.Go to www.old-maps.co.uk,use the search term-Rholau-choose the only option and when the map loads,increase magnification,Wyle Cop is just below Rholau.

Regards
Roger

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 March 13 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Once again.

Offline Michael Glynne Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 May 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
Zoe
We appear to share the same ancestry. I have a photograph of William and Elizabeth Jones. You can find it on Ancestry. I am currently visiting the UK from the US and found Wyle Cop earlier this week. From the main road turn up the hill just after the church, when you get the top of the hill turn left along a small track and eventually you will find it on the left overlooking the valley. It is now a beautiful private home.
Best Mike