Author Topic: Insightful headstone inscriptions (revised title)  (Read 19838 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Insightful headstone inscriptions (revised title)
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
My goodness! That's not a grave stone that's a novel! ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  :D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I've become a bit of a cynic about this inscriptions after going through some death notices in the paper I'd uncovered with my Grandma who knew some of the people in question. So death notice A would read 'much beloved husband A, how will I ever live without you blah blah blah, love B' and my Grandma would say that B couldn't stand the sight of A, they slept in separate rooms and fought every waking hour etc etc.

I am smiling about this. On my husband's tree there is a 3x Great Aunt who married in Tipperary and the family emigrated to New Orleans in 1893.
According to newspaper reports of 1904 her husband had been drinking heavily (which, apparently was a regular occurrence). He was cross with Bridget as she had bought a new dining room suite and this sparked an argument. There was an elderly lady present who was visiting at the time. Andrew threatened to smash the furniture and got an axe, the visitor took it from him and threw it into the yard. Andrew grew more agitated, retrieved the axe and  threatened to kill them all.
His son, George, hearing the argument, picked up his pistol  went into the room and thinking his mother was in danger, shot his father - three times (or five , depending on which report you read). Andrew was dead almost immediately.

Newspaper reports say that George was arrested and released on bail the next day. The case was heard and dismissed the next week and he was released without charge.

Despite all the above, Andrew's death announcement in the newspaper described him as
'the beloved husband of Bridget'.

You couldn't make this stuff up!

Boo

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
At Muncaster near Ravenglass in Cumbria, there is a memorial in the Castle grounds (and maybe also in the churchyard, tho my memory of a visit in the early 70's is now a bit hazy) to the wife of one of the owners of the Castle that went something along the lines of
"To the Incomparable Penelope, one of the best of wives and best of Mothers, who died at the house of one of the best of friends in Yorkshire"

The Incomparable Penelope was probably the wife of the John Pennington, first Baron Muncaster who married Penelope Compton in 1778. She died in 1806.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 31 December 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I've become a bit of a cynic about this inscriptions after going through some death notices in the paper I'd uncovered with my Grandma who knew some of the people in question. So death notice A would read 'much beloved husband A, how will I ever live without you blah blah blah, love B' and my Grandma would say that B couldn't stand the sight of A, they slept in separate rooms and fought every waking hour etc etc.

I am smiling about this. On my husband's tree there is a 3x Great Aunt who married in Tipperary and the family emigrated to New Orleans in 1893.
According to newspaper reports of 1904 her husband had been drinking heavily (which, apparently was a regular occurrence). He was cross with Bridget as she had bought a new dining room suite and this sparked an argument. There was an elderly lady present who was visiting at the time. Andrew threatened to smash the furniture and got an axe, the visitor took it from him and threw it into the yard. Andrew grew more agitated, retrieved the axe and  threatened to kill them all.
His son, George, hearing the argument, picked up his pistol  went into the room and thinking his mother was in danger, shot his father - three times (or five , depending on which report you read). Andrew was dead almost immediately.

Newspaper reports say that George was arrested and released on bail the next day. The case was heard and dismissed the next week and he was released without charge.

Despite all the above, Andrew's death announcement in the newspaper described him as
'the beloved husband of Bridget'.

You couldn't make this stuff up!

Boo

What a great story! Tragic for those involved, though.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 31 December 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
At Muncaster near Ravenglass in Cumbria, there is a memorial in the Castle grounds (and maybe also in the churchyard, tho my memory of a visit in the early 70's is now a bit hazy) to the wife of one of the owners of the Castle that went something along the lines of
"To the Incomparable Penelope, one of the best of wives and best of Mothers, who died at the house of one of the best of friends in Yorkshire"

The Incomparable Penelope was probably the wife of the John Pennington, first Baron Muncaster who married Penelope Compton in 1778. She died in 1806.

There's a book in there, somewhere! Thanks for sharing  :)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 31 December 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Found in Holcombe (Somerset) Churchyard

Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 31 December 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
The headstone of Susanna aged 57 wife of Samuel in a local churchyard.

Remember me as you pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I am now so you must be
Prepare yourself to follow me
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk