Author Topic: Army Uniform Identification Needed  (Read 2395 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Army Uniform Identification Needed
« on: Monday 18 March 13 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Posting this on behalf of a friend who i am helping with their family research.

The photo below is of my friend's grandfather Walter Farnworth. It is thought to be of WW1 period but my instincts are telling me that it is more likely WW2. Which war was it & can the uniform be identified?

Unfortunately very little is known about Walter. He was born c1890 & believed to be born in Manchester. He married Edith Mary Hochen in June Qtr 1914 in the Salford registration district.

I have included the back of the photo as well to help with the dating side of things!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

Edited: Oooops, forgot to add attachments! :-[ Hopefully attachment(s) are now below!

Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Army Uniform Identification Needed
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Have had to attach t he back of the photo in a separate post!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I'm not a uniform expert but I can tell you that the photograph is later than WW1 era.  1920s at the earliest, up to the 50s at the latest. 
Hopefully the armed forces experts will be able to narrow the date down further for you :)

Prue

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I think it's one of the Volunteer Organisations set up on outbreak of WW2 maybe an ambulance driver?
It's not ww2 battle dress so possibly 1939!1940 or thereabouts.

His WW1 records maybe online.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
The picture matches a similar one I have seen of a Red Cross Ambulance Driver.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue, Ady & Jebber,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated!

Prue, many thanks for that dating info, much appreciated. I did spot something about the photographic company on cartedevisite.org & its sister site victorian photographers.org, telling me that the head office address was in Oxford Street, London in the 1930's i think it was. So presumably dates before or after that period, i.e 1920's or 1940s to 1950s.

Ady, thanks for the info re uniform, much appreciated. As regards his WW1 records, that's going to be tricky as already pointed out, not much is actually known about him, so likely to take a while.

Jebber, Many thanks for that info, much appreciated, gives me a starting point to see if i can find anything about him!

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady,

Many thanks for the link, much appreciated.

I see that the indexes that they hold are not available to the public, i shall have to suggest that my friend writes to them to search their indexes. I also note that when war was declared in 1939 that they were desperately in need of volunteers. So date wise it fits with his having possibly volunteered to join them.

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline Melliemoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I’m new to all this so!  :)

It seems I’m related to Walter Farnworth and Edith Mary Hochen.
They are both siblings on my great grandparents side of my mothers.

Walter had a brother, Thomas C Farnworth who was married to Walters wife’s sister ( Jane Elizabeth Hochen).

Unfortunately I too cannot find anymore information on the Hochen side past George William Hochen and Hannah E Hochen. The parents of Jane and Edith.

Regards Mel