Author Topic: Hampt ???????  (Read 6585 times)

Offline allanroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hampt ???????
« on: Friday 09 July 04 11:52 BST (UK) »
The Nattle family I am researching all lived at the following places
Lower Hampt
Middle Hampt
Hampt Farm
Hampt cottage

In Stoke Climsland. I cannot find any of these places on any maps and have a reference of Lower Hampt been in Callington, Cornwall.
Is this an area or one huge farm sub divided?

Any help please will be welcome.

Allan
Cornwall: Nattle, Nicholls, Cooksen,Perkin,Robartes
Kent:        Holdstock
Wales:      Hanes
Scotland:  Roy
Leeds:      Maude

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hampt ???????
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 04 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan,

Have my OS map beside me and I have found Hampt marked on it.  Since I cannot scan this and post an attachment, I'll have to describe it to you.  Hampt is on a south-east facing slope above the river Tamar (on the Cornish side). There are several buildings marked there.  It's about 2 miles east of the village of Stoke Climsland and not far from one of the few bridges that cross the river - looks like the area is called Horsebridge.  If you can track down a map it is slightly east of north of Luckett.  Nice place to be.  Callington is town (bigger than Stoke Climsland) about three miles from Stoke Climsland and a separate parish.

Hope this helps.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allanroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 04 12:24 BST (UK) »
I found the town of Hampt. What confuses me is its normally listed as Middle Hampt Stokes climsland and Lower Hampt, Callington. Thats why I am not sure that it is the town of Hampt but more a farm or huge estate of land. I have been told that it is / was an estate.

Allan

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 July 04 12:51 BST (UK) »
I understand what you mean.  Perhaps the different places fell in the two different parishes, or two different manors.

Go to the following site:
www.old-maps.co.uk

Type Stoke Climsland into the place search box on the left-hand side.  Choose the top one on the list that comes up.  You will see a map with Stoke Climsland roughly in the centre.  Use the arrow to the east to move the area of view eastwards until Higher Middle and Lower Hampt come into the map.  Use the buttons at the bottom to enlarge the map on screen.  You can also print it out.  These maps are late 19th century, exact date given on screen for the area you view.

I have also made a quick search of some record office catalogues (go to

www.a2a.org.uk

and click on "search the catalogues", enter a keyword - I tried Hampt and Nattle - and then check the hits).  The summary of the content of the documents might help you sort it out and add a bit more to your knowledge.  The records cannot be viewed online but I have found it useful.

Good hunting.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allanroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 July 04 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell

You have answered my question, check old-maps and found higher, middle and lower hampt. And just north of higher hampt is hampt cottage.

Thank You
Allan

Offline Smorri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 September 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I will be able to help with any questions, but we have not long moved to Middle Hampt Farmhouse, our house used to be part of a larger farm which has since been spilt and the barns developed, I would love to know more about it's history and the people that lived here.