Author Topic: Marriage of Isaac and Martha Swindail - Maiden Name?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage of Isaac and Martha Swindail - Maiden Name?
« on: Wednesday 20 March 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Is there a chance to ascertain the marriage details of pre-1820's wedding in Staffordshire?

I have found these two living in Staffordshire in the 1841, 51, and 61 Censuses as being husband and wife;

Isaac and Martha SWINDAIL, both born in the 1790's in Staffordshire, with 2 children being born in Staffordshire around 1820's.

There are numerous spelling variations of SWINDAIL e.g. SWINDALL, SWINDALE, SWINDELL, SWINDELLS etc.... I would like to know Martha's maiden name if possible?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Isaac and Martha Swindail - Maiden Name?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You don't say where in Staffordshire the children were born or where Isaac or Martha come from.  :-\

From familysearch
Isaac Swindel
Spouse Martha Mitchel
17 May 1817
Alstonfield,Staffordshire
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
1851 census gives Martha's birthplace as Heathylee? and Isaacs as Longton

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Heathylee is a parish in Alstonfield  ;D

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/Alstonfield/index.html

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie and Willow, I would say that would be the couple. I'm just a little emabarassed that I didn't use Family Search myself. It's been that long since I've used that site, I forgot all about it  :-[

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline AlanofDurham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Les,

I am carrying out a one name study of the Swindell (etc) surname (you can contact me on swindell@one-name.org) and I am currently looking at David Manasseh Swindail who emigrated anong with 'your' William Swindail. I assume you have now found the marriage of Isaac Swindel and Martha Mitchel on 17th May 1817 in Alstonefield, Staffordshire but have hit the next brickwall looking for Isaac's parents!

Isaac was probably baptised at Longnor in Staffordshire but the bad news is that you need to go to the Staffordshire record office to view these records.

I am still working on this family using information provided by a correspondent on some Longnor baptisms but not, I'm afraid, that of Isaac. My correspondent is on holiday at present but has promised me more information on her return. However then I shall be on holiday till mid-November!

FindMyPast is in the process of digitising the Staffordshire records and Longnor records should be included in this but maybe not for a year or two.

Alan

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 October 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Alan - I will contact you via that email now.

By the way, you will find that your email link will be removed by administrators of this site as a precaution against spam, however, I've copied it before they did  ;D

Les