Author Topic: Moses and Mary Jones. Help Please.  (Read 900 times)

Offline koalasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moses and Mary Jones. Help Please.
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 02:52 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please? I have come to a brickwall in my research. My Great, great grand father, MOSES JONES, born 1793 in Trefeglwys, {Newtown} Montgomeryshire. Wales, Flannel Weaver married a MARY.

I have found a connection with a MARY ANN FARMER and a MOSES JONES but do not know if I have the right one.

I have found Mary Ann Farmer, born March 1798 in Tunbridgewells, Kent. She is listed as the daughter of William Farmer and Mary and married to a Moses Jones.

My great grand father was Edward Henry Jones born in Wales in 1827 to a MOSES JONES, but I cannot make the connection.

Hoping that someone may be able to unlock this mystery for me.

Koala[South Australia]
Wales..Jones; Ireland..James; Ekins; Halligan; Love; Hudson; Burmas; England..Bedfordshire..Birdsey; Rowe; Cove; Buckingham..Lovett;  Essex..Barker; Robson; Stock; Harvey; Hampshire..Robson; Wiltshire..Abrey; London..Giles; Hutton; Evans; Australia..Jones; Barker; Robson; Stock; Love; Hutchens; Hammond;

Offline Derwentwater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moses and Mary Jones. Help Please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 09 01:59 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry that I'm contacting you to ask a question & not answer yours!

I notice that your Moses Jones was a Flannel weaver born in Newtown Wales.  My ancestor Thomas Jones was born in Newtown about 1847 to a Thomas Jones who was also flannel weaver.

I know it might be a tall order but does Moses Jones have any brothers called Thomas?

Derwentwater

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 09 10:34 BST (UK) »
Koala

Not sure if you have found your Moses and Mary going on the date of your post, but according to 1841 census for Newton, Moses, his wife Mary and all the kids were born in the county. Mary has died before 1851 so cannot get a definite birthplace.

Getting the birth certificate for one of the children born after 1837 will give Mary's maiden name, such as Lucy in Dec qtr 1841.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline markjones2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I may have good information on your quest of Moses Jones and his wife.  May I ask if you are sure of the birth year of 1793.  Remember that all census taking in 1831 and prior rounded down the age.  If you look at the census and the adults are listed as 25 or 30 or 35 etc.  Then the census taker was using this practice.  Under 25 was accurate.  So a person of 25 years on the census could be 25-29 years old. 
Also, the Moses Jones you write about had a brother William Jones.  They married the sisters Mary Farmer and Elizabeth Farmer.  The Farmer sisters mother was named Martha.

Lots more to relate but let me know