Author Topic: Burials in Maker/Rame area  (Read 5921 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials in Maker/Rame area
« on: Friday 22 March 13 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatter
Can anyone help me find two burials? (Or any other clues I know how clever you are!)

have found a removal for a Mary Jago a widow in 1817 and am trying to understand her situation.
I believe Mary herself was born 1750 buried in 1822 at Maker of Millbrook.

She worked for a Mr. Joseph Kerley at Lower Anderton in the Parish of Maker. To understand the chronological order I would love his year of burial etc.

Mary was the widow of Robert Jago who she married in 1776 at Maker and their children were baptised in Maker 1778-1792.

Therefore I assume Robert died after 1792 but before 1817 but I cannot find a burial.
One thought is that there were mariners in the Jago family and I wonder if he died at sea.

Mary Jago's last job was working at The Kings Brewery at Southdown, Millbrook which also has obvious Naval links.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Maker/Rame area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 March 13 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall OPC Database is showing this death:

28th March 1814
St Martin by Looe
Robert Jago, age 69
Resident of Holland in the parish of Morval
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 13 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi KGarrad
I had seen that burial but Morval seems a tad out of the area.
Depending on the burial of Joseph Kerley (so I can get the years sorted) I think Mary (and therefore Robert Jago) were living Stephen by Saltash Mary was a servant to Mr. Antony Brooking at Pill for 2 years (?1813-1815). Mary then was removed to Maker as servant to Mr. Joseph Kerley at Lower Anderton for 11 mths. Therefore I assume Roberts burial to be in the Saltash or Maker area.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 13 17:31 GMT (UK) »
St Stephens by Saltash parish records are problematic - I know because I requested them for transcribing. ;)

To clarify that -- there are big gaps, e.g. my StSbyS surname doesn't return any baptisms at the OPC site between 1770 and 1905, which is of course the period I want. My grx2 grmother's baptism c1820 is at FindMyPast but not at the OPC site. The OPC coverage page says:

burialsBT  1679-1773  2,480
burials  1894-1937  3,186

So the gap covers the period when Robert would have died. You'd have to check FindMyPast to see what their coverage is.

Apparently the films aren't available to the OPC people. There is a very helpful OPC who may be able to help you, but essentially the only source appears to be FindMyPast.

I don't have a sub at FindMyPast but basic search results aren't showing any Robert Jago in StSbyS, but there is a Robert H burial in Callington, for instance, no dates shown.

The name Joseph Kerley doesn't appear anywhere at the OPC site, and the surname Kerley (even as Kearley) is pretty scarce on the ground itself.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey
Thank you for your advice. I do have a sub to FindMyPast and have been unable to find Robert Jago's or Joseph Kerley's burial in Saltash, Maker or Cornwall.

As Roberts sons were Mariners I wonder if he also was a Mariner and died at sea.
Mary Jago (I think) was buried aged 72 born 1740 on 22 Mar 1822 of Millbrook at Maker Cornwall.
This ties in perfectly with Mary Henders baptism in Lanteglos.

Joseph Kerley was of Lower Anderton but I could not find anything there except that it is near Millbrook on the Maker Road.
Searching for a Joseph who buried within the time frame, strangely there ia a Joseph Hender born 1740 of Millbrook buried at Maker in 1815 but I cannot see a relationship to Mary although she 'went to J.K's house for six week after J.K's death to see to domestic services' so perhaps was a trusted family member but it seems a stretch to see 'Kerley' as 'Hender'!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 13 22:08 GMT (UK) »

The to-ing and fro-ing across the river from the StSbyS area to Devon and back -- my people from that area did it at least twice a generation between c1815 and c1865, for instance. FindMyPast shows quite a few Kerley events in Devon in the 1800s-1900s. Possibly he was from Devon and buried there ...

(And the to-ing and fro-ing of bits of Cornwall itself: in 1841, one of my StSbyS ancestors  was living in Maker, which was called Devon in that census.)

"Mary Jago (I think) was buried aged 72 born 1740 1750? on 22 Mar 1822 of Millbrook at Maker Cornwall."

"This ties in perfectly with Mary Henders baptism in Lanteglos." i.e. 1750, parents John and Eliz:
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1493310

John and Eliz (misspelled Elizebath for Mary's baptism) also seem to have had in Lanteglos
John 1742
John 1744
Margaret 1748

Do you think that Joseph Hender burial might be him and there was an error made in the parish records resulting from a mixup with Mary's family name, if they were related? Perhaps he was a nephew, son of an unmarried sibling of Mary ...

But ... FindMyPast shows two Joseph Hender marriages in Maker,
1765 to Elizabeth Cowling
1797 to Philadelphia Lander (son of first - baptised 1773 maker, parents Joseph and Elizabeth)
the first of which is most likely to account for the 1815 death.

(It looks like the younger couple moved away -- Philidelphia Hender died 1817 in St Endellion and Joseph Hender cordwainer of Indellion was in Bodmin jail in 1823 for a month for being idle and disorderly -- results of person search at OPC site.)

Something that might be worth looking into:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J733-38K

baptism Joseph Kerly, 1707 Maker, father John. A previous generation? There are other births in that batch C05287-1 to parents John and Hannah.

A John Charles Kerley was baptised 1865 Lanteglos by Fowey, parents John and Lavinia, residence Polruan. Don't see that birth or a marriage for the parents in the GRO index. Father was a railway clerk, maybe from away, but there's still no registration. In 1871 that child (John Kerly) shows as born in Plymouth, living in Polruan with Stephens grandparents. I suspect the parents weren't married - a spinster Lavinia Stephens married a widowed Thomas Bunt in 1881 in Lanteglos by Fowey. Lavinia was born 1841 Falmouth and is with her sister in Polruan in 1871. No clue as to who John Kerley the father was.

Just looking for any Kerley connection with Lanteglos or Maker or StSbyS and that is all I am finding!

Burials for StSbyS at FindMyPast seem to be only 1813-1837.

So Robert Jago could have been a mariner -- or if buried at StSbyS, the record just isn't accessible.

Thank you for your PM and offer, I will definitely keep it in mind!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 13 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Once again Jamey, thank you for your time and interest and I agree the to-in and fro-in does complicate matters and your correction regarding Mary's birth year is 1750 from her burial. It was Joseph Hender that was born in 1740 according to burial record, so if he was related to Mary he was more likely to be an uncle or cousin.

Robert and Mary Jago’s last child was bap 1792 Maker, Mary’s settlement from Maker to Saltash was in 1817 her husband deceased therefore Robert died between 1792 (no children bapt S.St.S -1817) Burial 1810 +or- 20yrs in Saltash returned 9 results 1813-1829 (no Robert Jago) but a search on William? suggests that burials start 1808.

I probably need to look closer at Hender but Jago (and how they move around) is taking all my concentration at the moment. My tree is complicated as I have two separate Jago lines in another branch of the tree.

Robert and Mary Jago’s eldest child Elizabeth (I believe) married as a sojourner in Kelly Parish Devon (no home Parish given). She bapt her last son Robert in 1815 (after her father as this was not a given name in her husband’s family). Robert married an Eliza Jago (baptised Kinsman in Tavistock) although they married in Plymouth St Andrew probably as Eliza was fiercely NC.

Robert and Eliza lived at Tavistock, Morwellham then Okel Tor and their daughter married a LANG and moved to Millbrook where he managed the brickworks. Currently I cannot see how the two branches link but then I did not think I would find out where or when Mary Hender was born until I found the removal order!!
(calculations additions in brackets)

(Sessions at Lostwithiel) .  21st February 1817
Mary Jagoe, residing Millbrook, p. Maker, widow.
Born Lanteglos (1750) by ?(1772); at aged 22 yrs. moved to Rame, servant to Daniel Tom of Trehill, 2 yrs, 3gns p.a (1774).; married late husband Robert Jagoe (1776 in Maker, last child 1792 Maker), servant to Mr. Spry Roberts, Parish of Landrake, for 3 yrs (?). then removed to St. Stephen by Saltash as servant to Mr. Antony Brooking at Pill for 2 yrs (?); then to p. Maker as servant to Mr. Joseph Kerley at Lower Anderton, p. Maker, 11 mths. when J. K. died (?); then labourer at H.M. Brewery at Southdown and went to J.K's house for six week after J.K's death to see to domestic services; seven children now living all married and provided for.
Mary Jagoe, widow, from Maker 5th September, 1817
These documents are held at Cornwall Record Office St Stephens Parish

Although Mary was removed from Maker to Saltash but as she was buried in Maker I assume that one of her surviving children (probably a son after returning from sea) later supported her. I am not sure if you can see anything else from the order?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 March 13 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm seeing the question but nothing else myself, I fear.

1792 last child born in Maker

6 years (3 yrs + 2 yrs + 11 mo) accounted for between 1792 and 1817

1817 she is a widow and was settled to Saltash from Maker

Where the 6 years fit into the 15-year period is the question, Robert having presumably died before those six years, so likely no later than 1811.

All I can say is that I'd kill to have even that much info about my Cornwall people during that period! ;)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 March 13 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I agree, but remember what I said about knowing nothing about Robert and Mary until the removal order surfaced. I am sure it was not available when I searched 4 years ago, or did I not notice?

I have listened to researchers that say 'I just follow the male line' believing that it gives a true picture but 'I believe' - follow the girls! Mary definitely 'showed me the way to develop the Jago line.
I have a true fondness for her d-in-law Eliza who as, only an Agr Labs wife, but according to newspaper reports was called on by the other ladies in her parish for emotionally, medical and religious support.

I still have no idea of where or when Robert Jago was born - perhaps 1757 in Roseland? Looking at the 'names' they 'fit' but obviously 'we need more' which is why I was desperate for Roberts age at burial.