Author Topic: looking for ??  (Read 2011 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for ??
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 March 13 08:46 GMT (UK) »
thank you giblet, and it is the correct family that I have.  does any one know which board I should post on to try and search for them back in Greece ???? if that's possible

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 March 13 08:50 GMT (UK) »
They're the ones on Sun herald tributes which Heather says are the wrong man.
http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/obituaries/heraldsun-au/

BIRIS. - Stavros (Steve). Of South Corowa Steve passed away peacefully at Corowa Hospital on Thursday April 3, 2008 aged 57 husband of M and father and friend of ...  etc

So the arrival is also for the wrong man as it says he was born in 1949

regards,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Im confused now  ???

The Ryerson index have Melbourne papers and the parents[?] died in Melbourne. For Melbourne papers to carry the death notices there obviously a reason such as family etc there.

Ros i think they are the same family, those on the passenger list and the notices.

heather can you say where you got his year of birth from please? Siblings etc for him as well?

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I have confirmed it is the right family, there has just been a mix up with the birthdates. 

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:20 GMT (UK) »
sorry, his daughter has confirmed that it is her grandparents and his siblings, now I am trying to look further back for her. she is unwell and cant read a computer screen, so I have offered to help her.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Heather and giblet - I got confused (doesn't take much  ;D).  I thought you were saying that the death notices in ryerson which giblet found were the correct family but were still doubting the other info.

I think the Europe board would be best - if you put " BIRIS from Greece" in the topic heading then it is more likely to attract the attention of someone with the right knowledge and resources

cheers,
   Ros

(That's thoughtful of you Heather  :) )
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Dont panic Ros, my second name is confusion  ;D

Good luck with it heather  :)

Just a thought but does your friend have any death and or marriage cert. from the family in Australia? Sometimes they have information that can help with tracking backwards.

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
thank you ros and giblet

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 March 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »
heather this is just my opinion  ;D but if it was me i would order the migration record from National Archives Australia. A couple of these files that i have seen over time have lots of info on them and some include a relatives name from the country they were from. Also some have references from people they know. Also places of birth. Off hand if i remember rightly the last time i ordered one it cost about $16 and was well worth every penny. I was thinking armed with info from that record and hopefully some names it might help track them in Greece. You can order it online if your interested.

National archives Australia
BIRIS Petros born 18 September 1922; Eleftheria (nee Foudoulis) born 26 November 1922; Georgios born 15 September 1941; Olymbia born 12 February 1944; Stavros born 15 March 1949 - Greek - travelled per CYRENIA in July 1954

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/