Author Topic: Brierylaw cemetery lair question?  (Read 5738 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Brierylaw cemetery lair question?
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
My gg grandfather John Heatlie bought 2 lairs in Brierylaw cemetery Selkirk in 1909, both in section C lair numbers 194 and 195.
What i want to know is would they have had a headstone to show who was buried in which one, and is there any more info i can find on this family lair? John was the 1st Junior burgh officer in the Heatlie family and it has passed from father to son ever since, so given his importance in the yearly festival surely there must be something there to remember him by?
I dont live anywhere near scotland so i cant get up there to have a look myself unfortunately so any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Dawn

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brierylaw cemetery lair question?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 13 15:05 GMT (UK) »
dawn we have spoken before. Your lair C194/5 is my B239 on my CD for Brierylaw. The only headstone there is
"239       Book.     In loving memory of MARY PRINGLE wife of ALEXANDER HEATLIE died 21st March"
"1961 and of ALEXANDER HEATLIE who died 27th Oct 1964."
Sorry no Johns
cheers
alan
Ps Its the Selkirkshire Antiquarians that transcribed all the Selkirk cemeteries to Cds.The BFHS ones are only our copies.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
I have just been looking through some family papers and found the email you sent me in 2007 about these lairs, i had mislaid it under all the other paperwork.
Thankyou again.
Dawn

Offline chloeheatlie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My fathers name is John Heatlie, his brother Andrew Heatlie has been royal burgh officer for many years and recently passed it on to his son Steven.
I believe that my grandparents were buried in the Shawfield Cemetary in Selkirk.
Hope this helps!

Hi all
My gg grandfather John Heatlie bought 2 lairs in Brierylaw cemetery Selkirk in 1909, both in section C lair numbers 194 and 195.
What i want to know is would they have had a headstone to show who was buried in which one, and is there any more info i can find on this family lair? John was the 1st Junior burgh officer in the Heatlie family and it has passed from father to son ever since, so given his importance in the yearly festival surely there must be something there to remember him by?
I dont live anywhere near scotland so i cant get up there to have a look myself unfortunately so any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Dawn

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks for replying.
We share the ancestors, I did meet Andrew a few years back when I was visiting Selkirk, his father Tommy Heatlie, also your grandfather, was my great grandfathers youngest brother. My great grandfather left Selkirk when he was about 14/15 to come to England and us Heatlies are still here. Do you live in Selkirk?  Look forward to your reply.
Dawn