Author Topic: Germany: Ruhrgebiet. When was this newspaper article published?  (Read 846 times)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Germany: Ruhrgebiet. When was this newspaper article published?
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 09:53 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper cutting about my great uncle Heinz Faust turned up in a box of family photos. The photo file is too big for me to paste it here.
The newspaper is the Westdeutsche Allgemeine Zeitung (WAZ) but the date is not on the cutting. The article headline is "Den Weltmeister zieht es zu alten Freunden - Schwimm-As Hans Faust zu besuch - Viele Erinnerungen". It seems there was a world record holder in the family! I'm trying to identify the date of publication. The edition seems to be Nr 149. I suspect it was in the 1950s or early 1960s. The WAZ on-line archive only goes back to 1997.
Can anyone help?
Greygirl
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Ruhrgebiet. When was this newspaper article published?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A swimmer from Göppingen and member of SV Göppingen, Heinz Faust, set the world record on 5th December 1926. He beat the previous record of Erich Rademacher by 0,3 seconds. The discipline was breast stroke.

There's some more info but in German so I will see if I have time this weekend to translate it.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Nothing conclusive, but a few ideas that may help to determine the date ..
Heinz Faust war ein deutscher Schwimmer. Am 5. Dezember 1926 stellte der Göppinger vom SV Göppingen in Straßburg mit 1:15,6 Minuten einen Weltrekord im 100-m-Brustschwimmen auf.[1] Damit unterbot er die bis dahin von Erich Rademacher gehaltenene Weltrekordzeit um 0,3 Sekunden. Der Kanadier Walter Spence verbesserte den Weltrekord am 28. Oktober 1927 auf 1:14,0 Minuten.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Faust

In english: he set a world record for the 100 metre breast stroke in 1926. This record was then broken in 1927 by Walter Spence.

The article headline says:
"World master [record-holder] is pulled to old friends - a visit from swimming ace Hans Faust - lots of memories"

This is written in present tense so it suggests 1927 (before October).  On the other hand, sometimes former world record holders may still have been referred to in the present tense for a few years after, but the WAZ is a fairly serious paper, so I would have expected " ... former world record holder .." if written later.

Bob

added: snap ! :)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:33 GMT (UK) »
http://svgoeppingen04.de/sv04archiv/schwimmen/berichte/2004/HeinzFaust.php

There's a photo of him in the above report which I now need no longer translate  :)

and one in English:

http://www.ishof.org/exhibits/world_records/100breast_men.htm
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Berlin Bob
I have the whole newspaper article which runs to a couple of columns, but can't get it into a file that is small enough to post here, or at least not yet - still working on it.
In the article it states that he is 69yrs old and a five-times grandfather so it was written some years after the world record. Unfortunately I have no idea when he was born so I can't work it out that way. My grandfather, his oldest brother, was born in 1889.
Greygirl
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Ruhrgebiet. When was this newspaper article published? *COMPLETED*
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:50 GMT (UK) »
It was 1969