Author Topic: TLC and dating please (Completed - thank you)  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
Re: TLC and dating please
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I must admit, Maggie, that I was originally a purist in that I didn't like to see colourisations of old photos because I felt the original integrity of the image should be retained.  However over the years I have changed my views.  I think that the restores themselves should try to uphold that original image.  However, colourisations can be helpful in bringing a picture to life and help us to appreciate what the photographer might have seen on the day the photo was taken.  So I suppose you could say that colourisations are an individual's interpretation of the image; whilst the restorer is trying to restore the image as close as possible to its original state.

That sounds familiar  Greensleeves .... ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,640839.10.html

A coloured version of my earlier restore to add to the increasing pile ... :)
Poll

Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I see we are of like minds, Poll.  I must say that I do admire the expertise of the  restorers.   I prefer to think of myself as a colourist - I can restore but colouring is more my thing, which is why I am so delighted to be able to team up with Maggie in this way.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
So does that mean that you can colour all of Maggie's Restores now ...and does she have to approve before you post them?   Does that mean we should presume all your colourisations are of Maggie's restores now  or are you still going to restore pics yourself? Just so people know who to thank for what .... ;D ;D
Just playing devils advocate here as it has always been a bone of contention about people using other people's restores without acknowledging them.  ;) ;) ;D
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:54 GMT (UK) »
We will always make it plain where there is a collaboration between us so there should be no confusion.   And since neither of us receives huge amounts of fan-mail I can't foresee any problems  ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Ah ..........  :)

Please be aware that I have given my full approval for GS to colour each of the two restores involved, in fact I asked her if she would like to do so. In each case she has given full acknowledgement that they are colourisations of restorations done by me.

It would be fair to say that any restores done by GS in the future may not always be of restores done by me, in fact they may well be colours of her own restorations but rest assured that any of our combined efforts will be fully acknowledged as such on the relevant thread.  ;D

Maggie  :)

Posting interrupted by red....... GS ....... Well I'll post mine anyway.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Funnily enough, Maggie and I were discussing off-site earlier that it would be interesting to have a thread based on your (Poll's)  views (to which you posted the link earlier) so that restorers/colourists could discuss,  as we think there could be some thought-provoking observations as a result.

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 23:25 GMT (UK) »
As we may be veering off topic for a prolonged period here I suggest  one of you start a thread then to discuss it ..  ;) ;D
Meanwhile I am sorry Maggie that you find colouring, after you've restored a picture, tries your patience ... I find the restoring hard work and the colouring really therapeutic.. Odd innit ? ;D
Poll :)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Takes all kinds Poll .... how fortunate that we are not all the same.  And the reason why I suggested a new thread was precisely for the reason that we had veered.  But unless anyone else wants to play, we have probably said all we need to on the matter.

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 23:48 GMT (UK) »
It is odd indeed, Poll, but vive la difference  ;D

I draw, always have, so I enjoy adding the detail and the missing bits. As you know, it can take hours and for me, because its how I am, there are no shortcuts and only good old photoshop to help. No complaints because I enjoy it, but after many hours of work on a pic the last thing I want to do is colour it.

This may change of course ......... we are all allowed to change our minds.

In the meantime who is going to start this new discussion thread - not me because its my bed time and I'm brain dead. ;D

Maggie  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk