Author Topic: When did protestant settlers first arrive in Monaghan?  (Read 19435 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When did protestant settlers first arrive in Monaghan?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
"Black's!" has the name "Dishart" a Fife name, St Andrew's, Leith.

Skoosh.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
"Black's!" has the name "Dishart" a Fife name, St Andrew's, Leith.

Skoosh.

Dysart is a surname found in Ulster- perhaps connected?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline liam hua duinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
1625 I have been researching the McGruther name in Scotland and concluded that they came to Monaghan as settlers about 1625, as the Duke of Perth on whose land they lived was one of the Undertakers
Elwyn Soutter  you are researching the mcgruther name in Scotland     and from your information I gather
the mcgruther were residing in Scotland with the duke of perth pre 1625                                                         ---1a where did you get this information from              --- 1b and could you advise me where in Scotland was this estate                                                                    ----1c you seem to be saying that there are no dichears dykers on the records pre 1825 on this duke of perth estate at 1b
then you seem to record
that the duke of perth came over to monaghan            ---2a do you know where he came over to in monaghan ---and that he brought some mcgruthers with him who ended up settling in monaghan                                ----2b could you advise me where they the mcgruthers settled in monaghan                                              -----as I have a tentative link that the dykers came over with the duke of perth and settled here in Ireland and they may have settled near or around the area where the mcgruthers settled around 1620s 1630s  1630s         ---but there is no record of these dyckers on the muster rolls except for at castlemaine county cavan
so I was wondering                                                        3a did the duke of perth have other estates in Ireland or did he only have the one estate and if he had one or more do you happen to know the locations of same from your research
again thanking you in advance for nay information that you may be able to share and provide me with   

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
1625 I have been researching the McGruther name in Scotland and concluded that they came to Monaghan as settlers about 1625, as the Duke of Perth on whose land they lived was one of the Undertakers
Elwyn Soutter  you are researching the mcgruther name in Scotland     and from your information I gather
the mcgruther were residing in Scotland with the duke of perth pre 1625                                                         ---1a where did you get this information from              --- 1b and could you advise me where in Scotland was this estate                                                                    ----1c you seem to be saying that there are no dichears dykers on the records pre 1825 on this duke of perth estate at 1b
then you seem to record
that the duke of perth came over to monaghan            ---2a do you know where he came over to in monaghan ---and that he brought some mcgruthers with him who ended up settling in monaghan                                ----2b could you advise me where they the mcgruthers settled in monaghan                                              -----as I have a tentative link that the dykers came over with the duke of perth and settled here in Ireland and they may have settled near or around the area where the mcgruthers settled around 1620s 1630s  1630s         ---but there is no record of these dyckers on the muster rolls except for at castlemaine county cavan
so I was wondering                                                        3a did the duke of perth have other estates in Ireland or did he only have the one estate and if he had one or more do you happen to know the locations of same from your research
again thanking you in advance for nay information that you may be able to share and provide me with

No I am not researching McGruther, and I didn’t say anything about them residing in Scotland. I just provided information about the names in the Irish Muster Rolls in 1630. I know nothing about the Duke of Perth.
Elwyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Drummond (Earl of Perth and Melfort)

Description
George Drummond, Earl of Perth and Duke de Melfort, held land in the parish and barony of Dunmore, county Galway in the mid 1850s. In 1847 he married as his second wife Susan Henrietta, daughter of Thomas Bermingham Daly Henry Sewell of Athenry and his wife Harriet Beresford. The Earl owned 3,439 acres in county Galway in the 1870s
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:21 BST (UK) »

Offline liam hua duinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
Elwyn Soutter I apologise for asking you a question on something that you did not post but im delighted you answered me about the muster rolls because I did not know about them and to find two dichares is a very rare thing indeed so once again thanks for assisting me on the dichare dicher connection

post the posterior posts to your answer  I know have the following information

Sir john drummond the sone of sir john married majorie hamilton daughter to the laird of blair hamilton he was the last baron of boorland----                                                                                 1A boorland is where in Scotland could anyone inform me

1605 James, Lord Drummond, Ambassador to Spain, was created Earl of Perth in 1605.
1611 December 8 john Drummond made earl of perth say 1612 approx.         

posterior to 1611 for he john Drummond first baron of boorland sold the baronie to john earl of perth and with the money passed to ireland where he made a purchase of land called kesh castle in the county of tyrone and died chyldeless about the year 1630-----                                                         1B any one what parish kesh castle is in the county of tyrone-----                                                     1C could anyone tell me if this john Drummond baron of boorland brought tenants over to tyrone with him and if so was there a dicher dichear ditcher dycher deacher deecher dyker family with him     

John Drummond, 2nd Earl of Perth (1588 – 11 June 1662) was a Scottish nobleman. Drummond was the son of Patrick Drummond (3rd Lord Drummond) and Lady Elizabeth Lindsay. He married Jean Kerr, daughter of Sir Robert Kerr, 1st Earl of Roxburghe and Mary Maitland, on 28 August 1613. He succeeded to his father's title of 4th Lord Drummond in 1602 and then on 8 December 1611 (by special remainder) to the title of Earl of Perth created for his brother James Drummond (1586–1611).

1625 I have been researching the McGruther name in Scotland and concluded that they came to Monaghan as settlers about 1625, as the Duke of Perth on whose land they lived was one of the Undertakers  so now I am supposing that the duke of perth in the barony of boorland Scotland moved with some tenants mcguthers to monaghan 1625 if so                                                                     2a the tenants of 1625 boorland in Scotland are there any dichers residing there on the duke of perth estate
2b where did they move to in Ireland monaghan where is the john Drummond earl of perth estate in Ireland 
2c is there a list of tenants in monaghan which include mcgruthers and if so are there any dichers on that tenant list---if not how are the mcguthers saying they were in Ireland

6. DYKER is a name largely confined to the same Perth, the Scottish landlord who owned the land the family tenanted in County Monaghan, came from                           
3a this is my link and that's why im chasing the mcgruther connection because its all Ive got

The Muster Rolls c1630, “Men & Arms, edited by the late RJ Hunter does not list anyone of that name in Monaghan at that time.  Nearest was Richard Dichare & John Dicher both in the Bishop of Kilmore’s estate in the barony of Castleraine, Co. Cavan.
I don’t have any specific information for the Bishop of Kilmore’s estate (of 2000 acres) but I would expect it to belong to the Church of Ireland with him being a trustee. I doubt he owned it personally. I also doubt it was leased to the Church. I would expect them to have been the ultimate owner. 
4A this is my new line of enquiry thanks Elwyn Soutter so could anyone confirm for me who is the owner of this estate is it the drummonds the church of Ireland or somebody else
4b and is there a record of a tenant list with Richard dichare and john dicher on it
and once again any assistance on any of the questions 1A !B !C    2A 2B 2C    3A     4A 4B   would be patiently awaited for

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
This Duke of Perth business was a Jacobite promotion of the Earl of Perth so a bit of a fantasy. It remains as a dance called "The Duke of Perth!"

Skoosh.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
This Duke of Perth business was a Jacobite promotion of the Earl of Perth so a bit of a fantasy. It remains as a dance called "The Duke of Perth!"

Skoosh.

?