Author Topic: When did protestant settlers first arrive in Monaghan?  (Read 19432 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When did protestant settlers first arrive in Monaghan?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 March 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Lennard Barrett Papers, Essex Records Office.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 March 13 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Would have been nice if you'd posted the details back in your first post here  :-\

PRONI has details of Barrett Lennard Papers- microfilmed copies available in Belfast (see page 12 + onward for details of the papers):
http://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction__barrett_lennard_d1232-2.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline madpat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 April 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the help on this one! I can trace a ggg grandfather back to about 1780 (through deduction) but I was wondering when protestant settlers first arrived. I suppose great chunks of land were granted to some and then poorer settlers came over to work for them.

I shall be looking at those links to find out more. Thanks again.

Offline Duncan Don

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the McGruther name in Scotland and concluded that they came to Monaghan as settlers about 1625, as the Duke of Perth on whose land they lived was one of the Undertakers. The Belfast Register Office appears to call them McGrew, and the name eventually appears under loads of variations in Scotland and USA like McGrouther, McGruder, and Magruder.  The attraction to them appears to be that they were tenants in Scotland but were offered 3000 acres in Ireland as owners.
The Irish variation appears to be McGrother

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: When did Protestant settlers first arrive in Monaghan?
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 August 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
Protestant names began to appear in Monaghan over a period of about 50 years, from 1606 to the 1650s. As a result of the Tudor, Stewart and Cromwellian conquests of Ireland, as we know, most of the land in Ireland was taken from the native Irish and given to Protestant planters. Monaghan, however, did not have the heavily organized plantation settlement that Northern Ulster experienced. Consequently, Protestant names are fewer. The pattern of land ownership in the 1606 division of County Monaghan, for instance, divided about 60 per cent of the county between a dozen main Gaelic families (former territorial chiefs/leaders) and several hundred of their followers. The rest of the county was divided among just a few British/English planters. Some of the new landlords were men who purchased estates from the Irish chiefs and then brought in more British settlers -- such as John Burnett of Ballyleck in 1609, who bought land from County Monaghan's famous MacMahons and settled it with his choice of Ulster and British tenants. MadPat theorized correctly that: <<great chunks of land were granted to some and then poorer settlers came over to work for them.>>

The Cromwellian settlements of the early-to-mid-1600s included men who were discharged soldiers (taking land as their pay), as well as planters and followers of the new landholding gentry. So, all sorts of surnames came into County Monaghan with these ex-soldiers and civilians, not just lords' and ladies' names. Still, the 1659 census shows only 434 "English" heads of household living in the county, while 3,649 Irish families were residents of Monaghan. If your ancestors were Protestant, they aren't hard to find in that small a percentage.

There are a number of excellent books and articles describing the changes in land ownership in County Monaghan over the centuries and the arrival of specific Protestant groups, with dates, locations, estate records, surname lists, hearth money rolls, etc. Not only were there new English soldiers, planters and tenants whose names began to appear in County Monaghan records, but the Castleblayney area saw an influx of French Huguenots (one of my ancestral lines in Co. Monaghan was a French Huguenot family -- the Calvins/Colvins). Scots settlers came in at different times, as well. So you'll see several types of Protestant surnames coming into Monaghan records of the Tudor to Cromwellian time period, not just English/British. Keep that in mind as you do your research.

Recommended reading:

The History of the County of Monaghan, by Evelyn Philip Shirley (1879)
History of the County of Monaghan for 200 years: 1660 -1860, by Denis Carolan Rushe (1921)
The Monaghan Story, by Peadar Livingstone (1980)
"The Evolution of Estate Properties in South Ulster, 1600-1900," by Patrick J. Duffy in Common Ground: Essays on the Historical Geography of Ireland (1988)
Landscapes of South Ulster, by Patrick J. Duffy
County Monaghan Sources in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (1998)

Also, see the Clogher Record articles index by the Clogher Historical Society, which is on-line. Excellent society and publications. And, they offer overseas as well as UK memberships.

Annie

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 September 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
I agree that, Monaghan was not a plantation and was settled later than the plantations.  (Sorry, vague.)

My Harrison ancestor arrive in County Monaghan in about 1700 and the Harrisons may not have had land until about 1760, at Church Hill and then rented it from a middleman of Lord Blaney.  So to answer your questions they were not necessarily given land.  Harrison cousins also had land at Ballybay.
Harrison

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 September 16 13:57 BST (UK) »
Some examples of Land given out mid1600's are in the Clogher Record and Clogher Record Journals are on JSTOR, gathered from Essex where original records are.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline liam hua duinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the McGruther name in Scotland and concluded that they came to Monaghan as settlers about 1625, as the Duke of Perth on whose land they lived was one of the Undertakers

could you advise what date did this occur and would you know if the name dycher dicher deecher dyker was included in this list as I have the following detail from one of the researchers of this line
6. DYKER is a name largely confined to the same
Perth, the Scottish landlord who owned the land the family tenanted in County Monaghan, came from     

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the McGruther name in Scotland and concluded that they came to Monaghan as settlers about 1625, as the Duke of Perth on whose land they lived was one of the Undertakers

could you advise what date did this occur and would you know if the name dycher dicher deecher dyker was included in this list as I have the following detail from one of the researchers of this line
6. DYKER is a name largely confined to the same
Perth, the Scottish landlord who owned the land the family tenanted in County Monaghan, came from     

The Muster Rolls c1630, “Men & Arms, edited by the late RJ Hunter does not list anyone of that name in Monaghan at that time.  Nearest was Richard Dichare & John Dicher both in the Bishop of Kilmore’s estate in the barony of Castleraine, Co. Cavan.
Elwyn