Author Topic: NSW Convict Death records - where available?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
NSW Convict Death records - where available?
« on: Monday 25 March 13 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death of a convict in 1831 in NSW on the online index for Convict Deaths at the NSW Archives site but with the notation "not available for copying".  The NSW BDM registry also has a reference on its online death index (?church record).

Is there anyway of obtaining a copy of the record to see where & how the convict died aged 23 apart from getting a transcription of the death from the Registry?  I  live in Brisbane.  Thanks Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Convict Death records - where available?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 March 13 01:51 GMT (UK) »
If you can give us a name someone might be able to find something for you  :)

Forgot to mention i have cert for 1829 for one of my lot, [who was not a convict], and there is very little info on it, its more like a burial record. No family info, no cause of death etc. I'll dig through my papers and see if i can find it so you can have a look.

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 March 13 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Giblet,

Thanks for your interest.  I don't expect much from the church burial either.  I was just wondering if there is a microfiche of the death record from the Archives which might give a bit more. According to a newspaper report, my man was sentenced to death but on a technicality he was sentenced to 12 months to the Iron gang instead.  He was, I think, already on the iron gang.  He died the same year.  I'll check my local libraries catalogues before I post his name etc.  Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 March 13 03:00 GMT (UK) »
I agree, you won't get much info from the ECR burial record issued by NSW BDM, but it may tell you the cemetery.   If buried in Sydney, it is possible the cemetery has been closed and possible re-interrment in different cemetery....  (Devonshire street Cemetery etc). 

Re NSW SRO ..... have you tried the following link

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-convict-records/index-to-the-convict-death-register-1828-79/index-to-the-convict-death-register-1828-79

"Note: Each entry in the register is a one line entry only"  and
"Are copies available from this index?

There is a photocopy service available from this Index. You will see an 'Add to Cart' tickbox option on the search results page(s) "

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 March 13 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM.  Yes I found that entry which on a separate page says no copy available. It is possible that the index entry is all there is, which after all does give a fair bit of info.  But I have just found that A....try has the same index/record, which I can view at my local library.  This way I can satisfy myself.  Regards, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 March 13 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Gazania, I think the 'not available for copying' relates to the pre 1856 microfilms of parish records.

If you are anywhere near QFHS library at Gaythorne, those films are available for looking at.
(Note, not open over Easter weekend)
Do you have the NSW BDM registration number?

But you won't get a cause of death or anything like we get on certificates from 1856 onwards.
You will probably get what ship he came on (one of mine has this information, in 1853) and his age, and maybe even his native place, if you're lucky.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 March 13 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Dawn, for the information. I've gathered quite a bit about this chap apart from his cause of death.  I am curious as he died about 6mths after his death sentence was overruled.

Also it is an age since I did convict research - pre internet days - and now I find that while online indexes are great, the whereabouts/ access to the original records seem confusing. I was used to the microform records in libraries or a letter to the archives.  So that is why I like to find out where/how the records can now be accessed - probably right in front of my nose!  Thanks, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
And if you're interested, as you say you are in Brisbane, QFHS are having a seminar on convicts on 1st June 2013 - "Convict Lives : Finding our Founders".   More info at www.qfhs.org.au

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Dawn, for the info about the seminar.

Today, I went to the local library to use A---try site.  There was the original record for the Convict deaths but it gave the same information as the Index that is on the NSWRO site, which probably explains why "Copy not available". (And no cause of death) I am now satisfied on that score.

But what I did find which I had never seen before was the handwritten original of the 1828 NSW census which was labelled as the "TNA" copy.  I found my man there.  They also had the printed version, labelled the Australian copy, which did not mention my man.

Thank you to all for your help.  Regards, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey