Author Topic: Teubler family of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Teubler family of Tunbridge Wells
« on: Monday 25 March 13 16:20 GMT (UK) »
The Teubler family lived in 1877 at Smockham/Tan Yard Farm off Reynolds Lane,Tunbridge Wells. Im looking for any information about the family that lived on that farm. I don't know what span of years they lived there but there is a specific reference to them for 1877.Im told that there are still decendents of them living in Tunbridge Wells. Their home recipe for beer is today being used by Moodley's who make Smockham Ale with it.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Teubler family of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I never know what "any information" means. Ancestors, descendants, occupation, names, ... ?

And of course which information someone might already have.

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha

Search for surname Teubler in Kent and you will find two listings in the location in question.

At 192.com there are more names, but no corresponding telephone listings.

A simple internet search for teubler "tunbridge wells" finds someone with a Twitter account, someone with a Facebook page ...

If you find them ... send beer!  ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 13:53 GMT (UK) »
By "any information" I mean complete geneology information of the family that lived there; names,date and place of birth,death,baptisms,etc etc. Not interested in information on living members of the family-just those that lived at the farm in the 1870's

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 15:38 GMT (UK) »
And I guess what I meant was -- you must have some information or you wouldn't be asking for information.

What is it you know, and about whom? Names, relationships, ... ?

No point in somebody else playing blind man's buff with search engines, not knowing what you know, and possibly to find things you already know!

"Complete genealogical information" is a bit of a tall order. Maybe if you explain where you have looked for this information, and what you have found or not found, someone could offer more suggestions.

It does strike me that living members of the family might be the people to ask, of course. With a strikingly uncommon name like this, it isn't too likely that someone living in the same place isn't related.

You're welcome!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. The only information I have about the family is their name Teubler and that according to an 1877 Kent & Sussex newspaper article about Kensely's Brewery (Cuverden Brewery) the Teubler family were living at Smockham Farm and supplied water to the brewery. I also saw on Moodley's beer website that they use a beer recipe from the Teubler family "who occupied Smockham Farm in the 1800's" to make their "Smockham Ale". I have checked Ancestry Uk by entering the surname Teubler and the location as Tunbridge Wells and nothing comes up for them. Not found on any census records I could find for the farm or in the online directories .I did a general search of the name Teubler Tunbridge Wells but nothing connecting them to the farm came up. So this is why I say I need "all or any information about them'. If I could get some full names at least of family members it would get me out of this dead end.Didnt see any Teubler family tree either on Ancestry UK which would have helped.I don't subscribe to other pay as you go geneology websites-the cost of one is enough for me!

Any help appreciated

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

There are only 4 entries for the name

1 marriage in the 1940s not in Kent
and then in TW,
2 marriages 1960
a birth to one of the marriages

There will be others you could find at Ancestry that aren't transcribed yet at FreeBMD -- but it looks like it may be coincidence that the modern Teublers are where the 19th century ones were!

No Teublers on that farm in 1881 -- a George and Ann Titchener, him born in Surrey, her in Somerset, and her sister, a Lawrence. He is a farm bailiff.

That census can be searched by address at Anc'y that year -- I just searched for Kent, Tonbridge, address Smockham. It's messed up, though -- the page of the images that shows them isn't there, there's a duplicate of the next page instead.

From looking at trees (free to register, search and send messages at www.mundia.com which mirrors all public Anc'y trees, just for info) the name is certainly Swiss!

I tried wildcard searches at Anc'y -- t*bler and so on -- but no luck either.

It would still be worth contacting local people with the surname, I'd say, at least to find out whether they are connected. Big coincidence if not.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
The one person I had noticed in Kent in 1881 that I have to wonder about is

Jean Tobler, born c1843 in Zurich, workman in Folkestone

A spelling change would be natural, since Teubler wouldn't be pronounced the way it looks to an Englisher. Tobler wouldn't be the pronunciation, but it would just make life easier. There are several other Swiss Toblers in the 1881 census as well - possibly a family of siblings, all single, all born 1843-1861. They aren't in evidence in 1871.

Maybe a chocolate connection as well as beer? ;)

There are smatterings of Toblers in the BMDs, but not in Kent.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 18:43 GMT (UK) »
The Teubler family lived in 1877 at Smockham/Tan Yard Farm off Reynolds Lane,Tunbridge Wells.

Im looking for any information about the family that lived on that farm. I don't know what span of years they lived there but there is a specific reference to them for 1877

Sorry can't help with the Teubler family but have found this information  on the censuses for the TWORT family that lived at  Smockham/Tan Yard Farm

Here’s an article about the death of a William TWORT late of Smockham Farm Tunbridge dated 1869 in London Gazette

www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/23478/pages/1653/page.pdf

The Will of William Twort 28 Oct late of Smockham Farm in the Parish of Tonbridge in the County of Kent Builder deceased who died 4 Oct 1868 Smockham Farm aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Hori Pink of Tonbridge Wells aforesaid Builder on the Executors, effects under £1,500

The Will of Richard Twort formely of Smockham Farm late of South View died 21 March 1881 executor brother Joseph of South View Yeomanh

The Will of Sarah Twort formerly of Smockham Farm Tonbridge but late of South View Spedlhurst spinster died 22 Oct 1885 proved by brother Joseph of South View Retired  Farmer sole executor £422 11s 9d

1871 census Piece:930 Folio:   59 Page   7
Tanyard Farm
Richard Twort Head 66 Yeoman employing 1 man
Sarah sister 56
Joseph brother 54 working on Farm of 22 acres

1861 c Piece:   493f olio:   104 Page Number:   38
Tan Yard Farm House
Mary Twort Head widow 81 Farmer
Richard son 57 milkman
William 53 Plasterer
Sarah dau 46
Joseph son 44 Farmer

1851c
Piece:   1614 folio: 369 Page Number:   5
Tan Yard Farm
Mary Twort 71 Farmer
Richard 47
William 45 Plasterer
Sarah 36
Joseph

Smock Ham Farm
Richard Twort 60 Farmer
Mary 61
Richard 36
Sarah 25
Hannah 21
James 20

Mary’s maiden name was REYNOLDS so no link with TEUBLER's that I can see

No Teublers on that farm in 1881 -- a George and Ann Titchener, him born in Surrey, her in Somerset, and her sister, a Lawrence. He is a farm bailiff.

Your Teubler family must have lived there from 1877 until 1880's a shame the dates are between censuses

You may have this already but thought I'd post just in case
Smockham Farm listed building

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-168154-smockham-farmhouse-kent/bingmap

Hope it may prove useful in finding your Teubler family

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for your replies.

I have figured out all the Twort,Reynolds etc occupa\nts of the farm so its just the Teubler family I need information for now. I expect part of the problem in finding the Teubler family , as one person suggested looking for "Tobler", is the common problem of census and directory takers in getting the spelling incorrect. I will see what I can do with the surname of "Tobler" and if nothing there then I will follow up on the suggesting of contacting current Teubler's and working backwards.