Author Topic: Teubler family of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 5053 times)

Offline relbuet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Teubler family of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 July 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi my great great great great grandfather john tort was born at smockham farm in 1785. He married Elizabeth Reynolds of whom I have a family bible containing many family dates. Perhaps Reynolds lane is named after them. Johns grandfather brought smockham in 1750 from John Bassett for £ 500 . They were tanners and smockham was ideal for tanning with a stream and plenty of oak bark which was crushed at standings mill was in hurst wood. The family thrived with one branch going on to make tort cricket balls. Unfortunately at the beginning of the 1800s two brothers fell out and due to legal costs had to surrender the freehold. They however continued to be tenant farmers to circa 1880 when culverden brewery purchased the farm so they could pump water from it's wells to it's brewery. I have been left many interesting material related to the family including a recipy for beer dated 1869 written on smockham farm paper. Moodleys remade it and it tastes very good. James teubler

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 July 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
To: James Teubler

Thank you for your posting. It confirms my understanding of the history of Smockham Farm. The history of ownership/occupancy of the Twort family at the farm is well known to me with much of it coming from another decendent of the Twort family. Last month I published an article about the history of the farm on page 4 of my website which you can see  at www.allabouttunbridgewell.com

If you want to make a copy of the article for yourself please do it before the end of July because I replace all the articles on my website with new ones on a regular basis and the articles on there now will be replaced the first week of August. So best make your copy by the end of July to be safe.

What I am most interested in is more information about the members of the Teubler family who occupied the farm. I make mention of the Teublers in my article and the recipe you referred to but at the time the article was published I was lacking details about the Teublers. Can you give me some names and genealogical information please of the Teublers that were associated with the farm so that I can republish the article with this new information to give a more complete history of the farm.

Yes Reynolds Lane is named after the Reynolds family who married into the Twort family and who occupied Reynolds Farm next to Smockham Farm. I have an article about Reynolds Farm that will be posted to my website later(probably in August).

Hope to hear from you again with details about the Teubler family.

Offline relbuet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 July 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi the teublers have nothing and never had anything to do with smockham. My only link with the place is through my mothers side. You are welcome to view my material if you live locally james

Offline stuartpritchard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been looking into the history of Smockham Farm, it is very interesting to read this thread. I am trying to work out what the buildings were used for, specifically the timber framed barn and the first brick building you come to when walking down the track from Reynolds Lane. I am aware of the three well sites but can't find much detail on how the Kelsey brothers pumped this to make their brew. Does anyone have any ideas about how this was done?

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 May 21 13:58 BST (UK) »
I suggest you check Facebook as there is a Teubler active on the Tunbridge Wells Facebook pages interested in history of Tunbridge Wells and his own family. I knew Sarah Teubler in my youth.
Boulding Boulden Bollyng (all - mostly Kent)
Finch (Kent - Henry & Elizabeth (Fossett)  Finch m1687  London)
Foord (Kent - Aldington, Stanford area)
Philpot (Kent - Alexander Philpot died 1601 Ashford)
Waggon/Waghorn (Kent pre 1715)
Rose (Kent)