Author Topic: 1952 grave mystery?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1952 grave mystery?
« on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I have the cds from the Selkirk monuments which i bought a while back but i still cant find a family member that died in Selkirk 9 feb 1952. His name was Neil Campbell Heatlie and he was born, lived and died in Selkirk. He never married or had children so i cant trace anything from his lineage, can anyone suggest another route i can go down to find some info on this guy. I dont live anywhere near Scotland so going there is impossible at the minute so any help is much appreciated. He could of been cremated i suppose is there any way of accsessing Selkirk crem records?
Thankyou in advance
dawn

Offline DebGlaze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1952 grave mystery?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Dawn
There is a family tree on ancestry that has a Neil Campbell Heatlie on it, born 1908. His parents were Andrew Heatlie and Marjorie Bunyan.

There is a also another private tree with a photo of Andrew Heatlie's headstone, Selkirk. The photo was taken in 2005. This Andrew was born 1874. If this is your Neil and his father, then maybe the headstone would give you more information, and/or maybe Neil is buried in the same place. Might be worth contacting the tree owners.

Offline DebGlaze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Just found his death record on ScotlandsPeople. You probably have it but I downloaded it just in case, and will send it if you let me have your e'mail address.

He is the son of Andrew and Marjorie who were both deceased by 1952.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
hi to both of you.
The ancestry tree is mine and a friend that i shared it with. Andrew and Marjory were Neils parents they both died in 1951 a year before Neil but no stone was ever put up, i contacted the borders family history society a few years back and they confirmed that there was just the two of them in there, so Neil remains a mystery at the moment, of course its possible he was cremated so there is no grave i guess i will have to kepp searching. I think i wil contact the borders history society again and see if they can shed some light.
Many thanks for your help.
Dawn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Why don't you contact the local council direct and make enquiries there too? www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/640/birth_marriage_civil_partnership_and_death

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Just for info - there were no crematoriums in the Scottish Borders until about 3 years ago.  Any cremations for the area up until then had to go to Edinburgh.

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 March 13 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks osprey i didnt realise that, he must be somewhere in selkirk cemetery then.
Thanks Monica i will use that link to email them and hopefully find some info out.
Thanks to both of you again.
Dawn