Author Topic: Nairn coat of arms  (Read 6109 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nairn coat of arms
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 07:40 BST (UK) »
I have a theory that all the NAIRN(E)/NEARN(E)s in Kent are descended from a David Nairn, sometime curate of Paddlesworth and Swingfield who died at Swingfield in 1666.  I have been able to connect almost every individual into four main groups with strong hints of connection between two of the groups and a weaker link to a third. The fourth so far unconnected group is half of the Nairns in Chatham.

There is a good possibility David Nairn who married Hannah Gibbs is a 2nd cousin of Fasham Nairn of Barnetts Place, but I have yet to prove it.

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Clontarf.
Thanks for your Reply.
Im very interested in your findings on the Nairnes/Nearns of Kent & especially any Irish Connections.I have looked into Captain Fasham Nairn in the past & have some research on him & his Lineage. A David Nairne (1622 -1642 ? Active)- Preacher - Gained an MA from Cambridge University & was Ordained in 1622, Church of England , under bishop Laud ? Yes he was Curate of  Swingfield, & active until at least 1642.   In Ireland ,1640 - under James Butler , were 2 Nairns - Alexander Nayrne ( Nairn) - 5th Troop Horse Captain & a Lieutenant Thomas Nayrne in a Foot regiment.In 1642 , Alexander was again chosen as a Horse Troop Capt for the war in Ireland , by the English Parliament, but fought at Naseby etc in Col James Wardlaws Dragoons.He disappears from History after this time, but i think he may have been from South Eastern England , as opposed to Scotland .He had a Patent in the New England Company.In the Military in  Ireland he appears with other Aristocratic Anglo - Irish Land owners such as Faithful Fortescue, John Trenchard, & Others ,  who i think were from the Surrey & kent Region. Alexander Nairns War Flag/pennon is also (azure & Or - Nearnes of Kent - Nearn of Ulster) , Fringed  sable & Argent (Nairnes of scotland).Unfortunately very little else on him.
Edward Nairne of sandwich Kent was a prolific Inventor, producing one of the first Electrical Machines, the Rubber eraser & Telescopes etc .He was a personal Friend of Benjamin franklin.He had a Brother, Richard in the Royal Navy who was active in the War of Independence & was corresponding also with Franklin at the time.Edward Nairnes Father was a Maltster of Sandwich, Kent i think ?
Like David Nairne, Curate of swingfield, there were a number of Anglican Nairne Ministers of Kent,Sussex  & wiltshire. A Richard Nairne was Dean of Battle Abbey.Im very interested in your lineages on the Nairnes of Kent.I can send you my Email address If your interested in corresponding this way ?

Regards from Kerry.

Offline Kerry Nairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 October 18 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Clontarf.
You mention that Fasham Nairn may be a 2nd Cousin of David Nairn who married Hannah Gibbs in Ramsgate 1754.That would mean that Richard Nairne of Wingham (      d.1670) was thier Great Grandfather ?Do you have a Lineage for Richard Nairne ?, as id be very keen to try & connect David Nairn of Ramsgate , married Hannah Gibbs 1754.
 in a book ''The Poll for Knights of the Shire to Represent The County of Kent'' - 1734 (Does this mean John Nearn was a Knight, ie Esq ?) , we find, John Nearn , his abode is Wingham , & his Freehold is New Church.Also in 1734 we find both William & ''Richard Gibbs'', both their  abode & Freehold  is Willesborough, near Ashford.(Also there were Henry Gibbs,John Gibbs, Thomas & Edward Gibbs) 
In ''The Chronicles of Wingham'' , listed under both ''Church Overseers'' & ''Church wardens'' , we find from abt 1726 - 1740 both John Nearne & ''Richard Gibbs'' serving very close to each other several times during these years.Could this John Nearne have been David Nairns Father & Richard Gibbs, Hannahs Father ?

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 October 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
in a book ''The Poll for Knights of the Shire to Represent The County of Kent'' - 1734 (Does this mean John Nearn was a Knight, ie Esq ?) , we find, John Nearn , his abode is Wingham , & his Freehold is New Church.Also in 1734 we find both William & ''Richard Gibbs'', both their  abode & Freehold  is Willesborough, near Ashford.(Also there were Henry Gibbs,John Gibbs, Thomas & Edward Gibbs) 

A Poll Book is somewhat similar to an electoral register, but published after an election.  As there was no secret voting at that time (and of course only significant male landowners had the vote), the book was published giving not only the names of voters but which candidates they voted for.

A 'Knight of the shire' was a name for a Member of Parliament elected by the voters of the county listed in the poll book.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 October 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
If Fasham Nairn and David Nairn are indeed 2nd cousins, then yes, their great grandfather is Richard Nearne (1630-1670), miller of Wingham and probably the 2nd son of Rev David Nairn, curate of Paddlesworth and Swingfield.

Fasham Nairn is the 2nd son of Rev. William Nairn (1686-1769) and Susanna; William is the 2nd son of Richard Nairn (1664 - ), maltster of Barham, and Frances Johnson;  Richard is probably the 2nd son of Richard Nearne (1630-1670) miller of Wingham and Elizabeth Redman.

David Nairn (m. 1754 Westbere) was baptised 18 Mar 1728 in Ickham, the son of William Nairn (1697-1743?) and Ann Rayner.  David had a brother Rayner, a son Rayner, and at least 4 grandchildren and great grandchildren with Rayner as a middle name.  I believe William is the son of John Nearne (1668-1736) yeoman of Wingham and his 2nd wife Martha Strong/Strainge.  John is probably the younger brother of Richard Nairn the maltster.  John's will mentions his wife Martha, son William and son (in law) Regis.  Martha's will in 1745 leaves everything to her granddaughter Martha Regis.  The main point of uncertainty in this descent is whether William Nairn son of John and Martha born 1697 in Preston nr Wingham is the William Nairn of Ickham who married Ann Rayner of Wingham in 1719.

Does the Wingham churchwarden/overseer John Nearne appear after 1736?  If not then I think he is almost certainly the yeoman and thus probably your David Nairn's grandfather.

All except one of the Anglican ministers pre 1800 in Kent, Sussex and Wiltshire are relatives of Capt Fasham Nairn:

Rev. James Nairne (d. 1677), vicar of Isle of Grain - no wife or children, mother in Scotland, aunt in London: no known connection;
Rev David Nairn (d. 1666) curate of Paddlesworth etc: gr gr grandfather of FN;
Rev William Nairn (1696-1769) : father of FN;
Rev Richard Nairn (1698-1760) Dean of Battle Abbey: bro of Wm and uncle of FN;
Rev Thomas Nairn (b. 1736) son of Richard of Battle Abbey: 1st cousin of FN;
Rev John Nairn (1729-1760) of Kingston, born in Bermuda: 1st cousin of FN;
Rev Richard Nairn (b. 1729) : elder brother of FN;
Rev John Nairn (1730-1815): younger brother of FN;
Rev Fasham Nairn (1757-1845) sometime rector of Little Bealings: nephew of FN.

Fasham's sister and a female cousin also married vicars.

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 00:29 BST (UK) »
Correction: the younger Rev. John Nairn was born 1737 not 1730

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 01:06 BST (UK) »
Richard Nairn (1664 - ), maltster of Barham

Richard Nairn, maltster of Barham, born 1664, died in 1755 :)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
I have a burial for Mrs Frances Nairn on 12 Aug 1755 from the Barham bishops transcripts, but could not find any burial for Richard.  Where does this record come from?

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have a burial for Mrs Frances Nairn on 12 Aug 1755 from the Barham bishops transcripts, but could not find any burial for Richard.  Where does this record come from?

Yes, that was his wife :)

I am sorry, going back I can see that I have not recorded the source. I am terribly sorry, had I realised I never would have posted at all. For awhile, going back, I wondered if I might have based it on his wife's year of death, but I see I have recorded his birth date as the 20th of October 1664. That is a bit too specific to be the result of approximation. So both dates are probably from the same source, most likely a book somewhere. I find Ancestry's system for putting in 'outside' sources very cumbersome, so oftentimes they don't actually end up there.

I will get back to you should I ever find the source :)

Have you found the will of Henry Lawson yet?