Author Topic: My Nan has a Dad that actually cant be possible...  (Read 15527 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: My Nan has a Dad that actually cant be possible...
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Tyler   check with the library as I think I saw a notice to say they were having the decorators in and the studies room would be closed for a few weeks
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline TylerGib

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:43 BST (UK) »
But "finding" and telling you things you know isn't really helpful!

So you knew Nellie was in Leicester in 1916 ... and had a child. And you know the child's father - ?

Do you know her child, and does the child know anything about their grandmother Nellie?

Trust me it is helpful! When you know very very little because one lady wont ever, has never spoken about a few people, and people now 60yrs on know their Dad because of kind help on here, it helps!  ;D

Nope. I only knew that she was my Mums Aunt when she told me about 3 weeks ago, it wasnt an avenue that i had traveled yet. Would it be worth getting hold of a copy of her birth cert then?

Offline TylerGib

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Tyler   check with the library as I think I saw a notice to say they were having the decorators in and the studies room would be closed for a few weeks

Haha yeah, when I went in two weeks back to join up and go to local studies room, i was informed they would be shut up there till 2 April!! Couldn't believe it! But its only a 5 min walk if its still "closed".

Ta for heads up tho!

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:48 BST (UK) »

I am not sure if you have this Baptist Record

Nellie Surgey Law
2 Nov 1890
Horncastle Lincoln
Mother Sarah Law

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:50 BST (UK) »
Do you know you can access the newpaper's through Nottinghamshire libraries, just need to put in your card number.http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/ntm_ttda
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 04 April 13 21:58 BST (UK) »

Nellie Surgey Law
2 Nov 1890
Horncastle Lincoln
Mother Sarah Law

Margp
What type of record is it? One thing for sure, being Baptist it isn't an infant baptism.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:00 BST (UK) »

Nellie Surgey Law
2 Nov 1890
Horncastle Lincoln
Mother Sarah Law

Margp
What type of record is it? One thing for sure, being Baptist it isn't an infant baptism.
Christening Record then
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
Trust me it is helpful! When you know very very little because one lady wont ever, has never spoken about a few people, and people now 60yrs on know their Dad because of kind help on here, it helps!  ;D

Nope. I only knew that she was my Mums Aunt when she told me about 3 weeks ago, it wasnt an avenue that i had traveled yet. Would it be worth getting hold of a copy of her birth cert then?

What I mean is: what is really helpful is you telling us what you know already! -- especially when it is about an earlier child of the same mother as your Sarah's.

Yes, I would get both birth certificates:

Nellie Lawe 1911
Helen Lawe 1916

We know that Helen 1916 was Nellie's child, and it seems highly likely that Nellie 1911 was too.
So it would be worth knowing what information was reported re their father(s).
Their marriage certificates would also be interesting, as long as we're spending other people's money. ;)

... Actually I don't think there is a marriage for the 1911 Nellie; the 1927 and 1930 marriages don't have middle names, although they are still possible.

A Nellie Lawe married Hazelwood in Horncastle in 1927. Can't really identify a death or remarriage for her.
A Nellie Lawe married Nash in Birmingham in 1930. Name is way too common to identify a death.
Those are the only two Nellie Lawe marriages in the index.
There appear to be no births to either marriage.

- edit - I was spelling Hazlewood wrong - but no more luck identifying a death for her or husband or any births

But apart from the two Nellie S Lawe births, there is only one Nellie Lawe birth: 1895 Pontefract.
Of course, the Nellie(s) who married could have been Lawe by marriage, but there is no Nellie + Lawe marriage either.

Getting the exact date of birth for Nellie 1911 could find a death for her, if she died after 1969. I might wonder whether she was given up at birth and renamed ...

The 1921 census can't come soon enough for some of us!

I think MargP just mistyped "baptist" for "baptism" ;) So there is no father named on the baptism record ...
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janey

Another OAP moment
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich