Author Topic: My Nan has a Dad that actually cant be possible...  (Read 12300 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Nan has a Dad that actually cant be possible...
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps at all (may even confuse more) but I have just been looking thro some information on the village of clarborough (just up the road from Tiln)

On the lists for 1911 census index I found a J. Surgey with address The Black Woman public house Clarborough.  Very strange as the pub was what we were looking at when I gathered all the info.

Barbara

Now I'm a bit confused with localities.   My grandmother Harriet Grant was orphaned when she was 5 years old.    She appears as age 12 in the 1881 census at Grove Lane, Clarborough, living with a Mary Morris whom we believe to be an aunt.  When I search for this in Google Maps they come up with an aerial shot of Retford showing Grove Lane running east from Retford and far into the countryside.   Clarborough is well to the north of the far end of Grove Lane.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
Don't know whether this helps pin down the locality, but there is (was?) a signalbox on the Sheffield to Lincoln line via Retford in the East part of Retford, near where the steam loco depot was named Clarborough Junction, and Clarborough tunnel is a little further east still.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
No all I need to do is try and figure out Nellies reason and whens for moving to Tiln/Hayton/East Retford area, and try to distinguish this "James Lawe" fella from that.

Nellie 1887's mother Sarah Lawe died in East Retford reg dist in 1927 - very soon after your nan was born there. I forget - do you have the 1927 death cert? For comparing addresses with your nan's birth certificate.

It just strikes me that mother Sarah quite likely went to live with her daughter Sarah Cook and family, as one logical reason for settling there. She was 82 when she died so would have been needing help by then, probably. And younger unmarried daughter Nellie 1887 went with her. ;)

Actually, Nellie was a single mum by then and had been for a while. It does look, though, like she was living with one older sister when she had Helen in Leicester and then shifted to the other sister where she had your nan. Maybe mother Sarah was with her in both places too.

Of course it isn't actually like Nellie was a sprout at the time - she was nearly 40 when she had your nan. But she was pretty much the baby of the family still.

Just for info, Francis Cook (husband of Nellie's sister Sarah) died in East Retford in 1952, aged 88. There are several Sarah Cook deaths there ... maybe 1942 aged 69, or 1951 aged 78? (she was born c1871)

We get the 1921 Canadian census in 2 years or so, I think. No such luck for you!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
Way back quite a few areas came under the parish or Clarborough until they split the parish in the early 1900's.  It is not far from clarborough to Retford, about 3-3.5 miles at he most.  From the last houses on Retford to the first in Clarborough no more than two miles.

Barbara
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen