Author Topic: Bowden Family (New Mills & Hayfield, Derbyshire)  (Read 5152 times)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowden Family (New Mills & Hayfield, Derbyshire)
« on: Friday 29 March 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »
This family of estate agents and solicitors has had for over a century both social and professional links with the Shaw family (brewers from Ashton-u-Lyne and Leigh, Lancs) and the Eckersley family (cotton manufacturers of Atherton, Lancs). I'm trying to trace when and where the connections started and why. I've used Ancestry to create a basic Bowden family tree but cannot work out where solicitors John Arthur Bowden and John Michael Joseph Bowden fit in. There is a promising tree owner on Ancestry but, sadly, they have chosen not to be contacted. Can anyone help me please?
(Generally, LEIGH, LANCS)

BOWDEN (Solicitors & Estate Agents)
ECKERSLEY (Cotton Spinners)
HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bowden Family (New Mills & Hayfield, Derbyshire)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I think you'd get more help if you included some dates.......

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 13 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I think you'd get more help if you included some dates.......
Derek.

Thanks, Derek. It would help!!  :)

The Bowdens (inc. solicitors, Joseph Rose Bowden, 1869-1930 & John Hadfield Bowden, 1899-1988) were involved with the Shaws/Eckersleys since at least 1918.

The brewery was known as the Bedford Brewing & Malting Co. from around 1860 with a name change to G. Shaw & Co., Ltd., in 1902. The key Shaws were William from Ashton-u-Lyne (1822-1889) who was head hunted to turn round the misfortunes of the BBMC, his son, George (1860-1918) who built on his father's sterling work, and George's two sons, William (1889-1937) and Frank (1891-1949) who took the company through to the end of 1930 when it was sold to the Walker Cain brewing group.

The main Eckersley was Walter Herbert Eckersley (1875-1919), who was a director of the brewery from George Shaw's death in 1918 and until his own demise about one year later.

There may be a link between the Bowden's and the Shaws/Eckersleys through James Edwin Anderton (1853-1934, another director of the Leigh based brewery), who lived, as with the Bowdens, in the New Mills/Hayfield area of Derbyshire.

I'm beginning to think that John Arthur Bowden and John Michael Joseph Bowden, mentioned in my opening post, were not connected with the  Bowdens listed above.

Hope that helps.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline ERS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 August 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
John Michael Joseph Bowden was the son of John Hadfield Bowden. John Arthur Bowden was not related to them but was in Partnership with them as Bowdens Shipton & Tomlinson Solicitors, 1 Princess Street Manchester and 12 Hardwick Street Buxton. Previously John Hadfield Bowden and John Arthur Bowden had been independent individual Solicitors in the same building in Manchester, and allegedly decided to enter into partnership to avoid confusion to Clients! I was an Articled Clerk there a long long time ago.

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
John Michael Joseph Bowden was the son of John Hadfield Bowden. John Arthur Bowden was not related to them but was in Partnership with them as Bowdens Shipton & Tomlinson Solicitors, 1 Princess Street Manchester and 12 Hardwick Street Buxton. Previously John Hadfield Bowden and John Arthur Bowden had been independent individual Solicitors in the same building in Manchester, and allegedly decided to enter into partnership to avoid confusion to Clients! I was an Articled Clerk there a long long time ago.

Many thanks for taking the time to post. Have you any knowledge regarding the business and/or professional relationships between the Bowdens and the Shaws & Eckersleys?

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline ERS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 August 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I haven't.

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 August 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
Joseph Rose Bowden (1869-1930) and later, his son, John Hadfield Bowden (1899-1988) were Manchester based solicitors trading under the style Boddington, Jordan and Bowden. The Boddington element emanated from the famous brewing family and Henry Boddington (1880-1909) was a solicitor with B, J & B until his untimely death. I'm trying to identify any members of the family Boddington who also worked at this firm of lawyers.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)