Author Topic: Thomas Morley and guardianship help  (Read 3775 times)

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Morley and guardianship help
« on: Friday 29 March 13 15:11 GMT (UK) »
I am researching an individual by the name of Thomas Morley. He was born in Kimberley on 5 November 1819 and baptized in Greasley on 24 November 1823. His parents were John Morley and Ann Aldridge, who were married in Basford on 10 June 1811 (source: Phillimore's). Thomas is the only child that I know of from this marriage.
My ultimate goal here is to try and find the parentage of John Morley and Ann Aldridge.
According to a biography of Thomas, as told by his son Joshua, Ann died when Thomas was four years old, which would be around 1823. Then, when Thomas was young, his father left him and was never heard from again. However, the biography states that he then lived with his grandmother without mentioning the name.
Is anyone familiar with legal guardianship resources available for Nottinghamshire during this era? I think that if Thomas lived with his grandmother, then she must be mentioned somewhere in some transference of guardianship papers. (Then again, I am not an expert on the logistics of guardianship for England. I am only assuming that there had to have been some sort of legal proceedings to allow her to have guardianship.)
My thinking here is that, if I have access to the name of this grandmother, then I will be able to at least determine one of the parents for either John or Ann.
Another potential resource for information are the poor and working house records. The biography continues to say that Thomas would be so hungry that he would eat the burned potato peelings from the garbage heaps behind houses. So maybe Thomas and the grandmother might have eventually received some parochial assistance. Are there any good and accessible resources for the poor and working house records?
Any help here will be greatly appreciated!

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Morley and guardianship help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
His parents were John Morley and Ann Aldridge, who were married in Basford on 10 June 1811 (source: Phillimore's). Thomas is the only child that I know of from this marriage.

There were other children from that marriage.

Greasley baptisms - Children of John & Ann Morley, Frame Work Knitter of Kimberley
27 Dec 1817 - Sarah
27 Dec 1817 - Mary
24 Nov 1823 - Jos.
24 Nov 1823 - Thos.
12 Oct 1826 - Millicent

As for the guardianship question, informal adoptions and guardianships were often not documented, especially when it was a transfer of guardianship within a family. There was probably no legal proceedings and no paper trail.

If Thomas or his grandmother were receiving relief from the parish, you are more likely to find a paper trail for that. It would be worth contacting (or visiting if possible) the Nottinghamshire Archives as they will most likely hold any records, and will be able to best advise you.

Alexander

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 13 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I am researching an individual by the name of Thomas Morley. He was born in Kimberley on 5 November 1819 and baptized in Greasley on 24 November 1823. His parents were John Morley and Ann Aldridge, who were married in Basford on 10 June 1811 (source: Phillimore's). Thomas is the only child that I know of from this marriage.
My ultimate goal here is to try and find the parentage of John Morley and Ann Aldridge.
According to a biography of Thomas, as told by his son Joshua, Ann died when Thomas was four years old, which would be around 1823. Then, when Thomas was young, his father left him and was never heard from again. However, the biography states that he then lived with his grandmother without mentioning the name.

Do you have details of Joshua Morley?
I cannot find him as a son of Thomas b Kimberley?

Also if mother Ann died c.1823 -there were children beiing baptised after this year - although it is possible for children to be baptised after mother's death

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 13 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Alexander: thank you for the information. I will contact the Nottinghamshire Archives and see what sort of information they have available. I will also look in the microfilm catalog at the Family History Library in Utah to see if they have any parochial relief records. I know they have some for Kent as I have used them in the past.
Suz: Joshua was born in the USA, which is why you probably can't find him in UK records. Looking at my other records, I found that it has been recorded that Ann Aldridge died in 1829, not 1823. Apparently she was buried in Greasley on 15 April 1829. I haven't been able to verify that information, but given that other children were at least baptized following 1823, it makes sense to me.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 March 13 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I have Thomas Morley b. Kimberley
1851 with wife Elizabeth and children John and Ann
1861 with wife Elizabeth and children Ann, Elizabeth & Thomas
1871with much younger wife marley? and son Thomas

when did Thomas go to US? When was Joshua born ??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Suz: You are correct. Thomas married (1) Elizabeth Culley in the 1840s and then after she died, he married (2) Mary Oldfield in 1864 (a twenty-three-year difference in age between them, too!). Joshua comes from this second marriage. He was born in 1877 in the state of Utah. Thomas and his family immigrated to the US in 1872 on the ship "Nevada."
Also, I have that in 1841, Thomas was living with James Morley, who I presume is a brother to him. They were living in Radford.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 March 13 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes I found the 1841 - will see if there is a baptism for James

Sorry I asked so many questions - I was trying to piece the family together and so find grandparents but I couldn't find Joshua - have found him now in 1880 US census - with other siblings -  seems like Thomas was "lively" for his age.
I assume Thomas went to US with the Latter day Saints ( I believe there has been a (so called) "Mormon" church a few miles from Kimberley longer than there has been the Church in Utah.

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 March 13 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes I found the 1841 - will see if there is a baptism for James

Sorry I asked so many questions - I was trying to piece the family together and so find grandparents but I couldn't find Joshua - have found him now in 1880 US census - with other siblings -  seems like Thomas was "lively" for his age.
I assume Thomas went to US with the Latter day Saints ( I believe there has been a (so called) "Mormon" church a few miles from Kimberley longer than there has been the Church in Utah.
duplicate post!!! Sorry!
Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 March 13 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is John's Baptism - if so Thomas' grandparents would be Thomas and Sarah

Baptism
18 Oct 1789
Greasley notts
John Morley
parents Thomas & Sarah

Also wondering if Ann Aldridge is Ann Aldred (often the names are muddled)

Baptism
29 Dec 1795
Greasley Notts
Ann Aldred
parents John & Ann

of course this is guesswork -but may be worth investigating

also in Kellys Nottingham  1828 listed under "Butchers" are Ann Morley Coalpit Lane
John Morley Dark Shambles

Suz