Author Topic: William MacKinnon & Lucy Hughes - Scotland to Northampton  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
William MacKinnon & Lucy Hughes - Scotland to Northampton
« on: Friday 29 March 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking for any descendants of the above couple (both b Motherwell) who married 31 Dec 1919 in Motherwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

William MacKinnon (1897 - 1953) was the son of Angus MacKinnon & Rose Ann Cullen or McCluskey & Lucy (1896) was the daughter of Patrick Hughes & Rose Ann Friel.

They had at least 4 kids: Angus 1920 - 2003 who was a Pilot, William 1923, Mary 1927 & a 4th unknown c 1925? - all b Dalziel, Motherwell, Scotland but the family moved to Northamptonshire although it is not known when.

It is thought that Angus & William both married and had kids.

William's father Angus died in Dalziel 1918 when William was about 21. His mother Rose Ann then emigrated to Canada along with 9 other siblings. A 10th sibling Joseph (my grandfather) remained in Dalziel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

A M.

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William MacKinnon & Lucy Hughes - Scotland to Northampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 March 13 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Angus was Angus Joseph and he died in Northants

He married as McKinnon in March qtr 1950 in Kettering but you would need to lookup the marriage yourself as there is no death listed for his wife up to 2006 so she may still be alive

The names of any possible living persons are not allowed on Rootschat

You would also need to look for McKinnon or MacKinnon births in Northants showing his wife's maiden name - there only appears to be one such birth registered as MacKinnon and there is a marriage for that child in Kettering in 1976

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 March 13 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Do you know William's exact birthdate?  Was it 21.12.1923?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 13 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

A.M. I was just looking to see if I had any baptism for the family.

It seemed obvious they would have come down to Stewarts and Lloyds.

I have just seen one in 1950 so will P.M. the details due to Rootchat rules.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 13 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the 4th child was called Francis.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Well that is 4 children for you A.M.

It is a shame the baptism I have stop at 1950's.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 March 13 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole & Sandy,

Thanks for replies.

It was William & Lucy on my query who had the 4 kids I listed although one I don't have a name/birthdate or gender for but if I have done my homework correctly the missing name should be female by educated guess/process of elimination.

William & Lucy moved to Northants, possibly Burton Latimer originally prior to 1941.

Their eldest son Angus who was born May 1920 had left Northants and was with the Air Force in 1941 as a Trainee Pilot in Manitoba and was certified as a qualified Pilot in 1948 back here. His address was Rockingham Rd, Corby in 1948 & died in Wellingborough 2003.

Either Angus or William was thought to have been married with a son who may also have been engaged in services?

I have nothing on the other's to date apart from Williams death 1999 in Wilts & Headstone courtesy of findagrave.com nor have I found the death of Lucy who, if still living would be 117yrs :-0

Regards,

A. M.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 13 07:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that A.M. as I was obviously incorrect.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 March 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
A Lucy MacKinnon aged 72 died in Birmingham in the first quarter of 1969. If your Lucy's birth was later than that in 1896, that death would be a perfect match for her. Possibly a child was living in Birmingham at the time and she moved after her husband's death.

Husband William died in 1953 in Kettering reg dist. There are two female McKinnon marriages in that reg dist in the right time period.

Isabella Y MacKinnon married in 1943; Isabella Young Tucker, born in 1921, died in 1998 in Watford. (That name seems quite Scottish; scotlandspeople confirms the birth of Isabella Young MacKinnon in 1921 but credits are needed to view details ... but it was apparently not in Dalziel.)

The second marriage was in 1954 so too recent to post details (also a typically Scottish female given name). There is one birth showing to that marriage. The couple were on the electoral roll in Corby after 2005. The child can be found on line.

seahall seems to have been correct about Angus's marriage and child -- have you got that info now?

If you look for births in Kettering with surname MacKinnon, there is another set in the 1960s (with mother's surname starting with D). There is no marriage to match that surname - possibly it was a second marriage for the wife.

There are also births in Kettering in the 1950s
- with surname starting with W and mother's surname MacKinnon, with no marriage to match
- with surname starting with A and mother's surname MacKinnon, and no marriage to match
- with surname starting with D and mother's surname MacKinnon, marriage 1951

Do you know whether daughter Mary had a middle name? That could certainly help identify a marriage and/or death.

There are 2 MacKinnon marriages in Salisbury in recent years that might be worth looking into. One can be ruled out by the birth and parents' marriage info, but I don't see a birth for the other. There is also a MacKinnon marriage there a generation earlier, but again I don't see a birth for that person.

Probably the most useful thing would be to get the death certificates for Angus and William, and also the certificate for the Lucy MacKinnon death noted above, to confirm whether it was your Lucy. If the informant of death was a family member in any of those cases, it would give you their name and address at the time of the death.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?