Author Topic: Durness Parish Register - Part 2  (Read 46290 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - Part 2
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
There's a Euphemia Gunn in Balnakiel Cemetery, who died in 1947 aged 84, which gives a birthdate of around 1863. She was married to John MacKay, who died in 1956 aged 91
Her stone also commemorates Elizabeth MacKay of Glasgow, who died in 1964 aged 72 (probably a daughter). Is this the right family?

Had I known you were looking I could have taken a photo of the grave this morning

Offline rupparti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
The inscription reads "In loving memory of our dear Mother Effie Gunn beloved Wife of John Mackay died 21st Oct 1947 aged 84 years. And the said John Mackay who died 16th Feb 1956 aged 91 years. Also their Daughter Bessie Ingram who died 3rd Dec 1964 aged 72 years. Cremated at the Western Crematorium Glasgow Erected by Husband & family." I have a photo taken 10 years ago if you want to PM me with your email address.

I took photos of 297 Balnakeil stones. I missed 15 and need to go back some time!

Angi

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
Angi

Is that the same set Graham Bruce has? I know he has most grave photographs on his PC, but many of the flat stones have deteriorated badly in the last few years. Unfortunately, the ones I want are flat ones at ground level that are now utterly illegible. I reckon my great great great grandfather Donald Campbell MacHearlish MacAllister must be interred close to the other family graves, but short of digging up the bones for DNA testing I'll never know

Offline rupparti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know. I did pass copies onto Christine at countysutherland website. I didn't at the time have the software to put a copyright notice on them.

Angi

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi djct59,
If your 3 x G.G's name was Donald Campbell, and the other names you quote were patromymics, he might be the Donald Campbell that was married to Johan Morrison and died Jan 23, 1917 and is recorded on MI #202 at Balnakeil.

This was one of the 200+ photographed by Angi and recorded on Chris Stokes' web site, CountySutherland .If you Google under these two names the, site will come up There is a small fee to become a member.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
The Donald Campbell you refer to was my grandfather's brother - his only son's widow is still alive, aged around 92 - I saw her boarding the bus for Tongue yesterday.

The Donald I seek was a soldier in the Reay Fencibles, born in 1765, and dying in the 19th Century. His son Charles (1813-74) has a prominent Hood gravestone close to the entrance on the Balnakiel House side, and his eldest son Angus mhor (1843-78, Donald's father) has a flat stone a matter of feet away from it. There are two illegible worn flat stones immediately in front of his grave, which night have been family graves.

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 September 13 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am very new to this, but found this thread fascinating. Thanks to you who are doing all this work. I have traced back definitively to George MacKay B 1788 D 3/26/1809 Married to Elspeth Elizabeth Sutherland. His father, I believe, is John Mackay of Durness born 1763, but it gets a little vague here. Downstream of this is Hugh Morison (or Morrison) MacKay (1839-1897) who was married to Mary Macleod(1834-1906) I hope I haven't confused anyone. Does anyone have any info on these people? I am apparently my generations keeper of the records(which I love)
Thanks in advance!

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 September 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
You need to move this to Part 2 down the page.....

I can't see a George McKay born to a John in 1788. there is a George McKay son of Murdoch McKay the miller in Badillahamhise, at the north-eastern end of Loch Eriboll, and his wife Ann Morrison listed on 28th October that year. Could he be the right man?

Offline WandaM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 September 13 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your prompt response!! Here's what I know for sure... My GG  is Elizabeth Adelaide MacKay (1867-1938) who came to USA from Prince Edward Island. Her parents, I'm pretty sure were Hugh and Mary (MacLeod)MacKay ( some list Mary as a MacCoy). I found George and Elspeth Elizabeth Sutherland on Hugh's tree. George emigrated from Scotland to Nova Scotia. His DOB is listed roughly as 1788.( Death, as I said earlier was3/26/1809) Elspeth I have from Dorroch Sutherlandshire. Her parents were John Sutherland B 1741 and Christy(?) B 1745. Am I throwing too much at you??? I think I lose trail after George