Author Topic: Durness Parish Register - Part 2  (Read 46696 times)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - Part 2
« Reply #216 on: Monday 10 August 20 21:15 BST (UK) »
It's been terrible for about three weeks now, from Sangomore campsite to the shop to Balnakeil the roads have been filled with parked cars.

Parking in a passing place and sticking a tent up 15 metres away is not "wild camping" - it's just inconsiderate.

It had been my intention to go up next week and take some pictures, but I suspect I might not bother now.

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
A two part question.

The following text is copied and pasted from Hew Morrison's transcription of the Durness Parish Register.

MARRIAGE
1769 Neil MacLeod in Grudie married Janet nin Nishvicorish in Naultan 20 June

BAPTISM
1772 Neil Macleod in Saingo, Isobel 18 Jan
1775 Neil Macleod in Saingo, Janet 21 Feb
1777 Neil M'Leod, alias macnishmacen, tenent in Durin, Angus 20 July
1780 Neil MacLeod, alias macnish macEan, tenent in Durin, and his wife Jane Campbell, alias nin Nish, Alexander

Question 1: Are Janet nin Nishvicorish and Jane Campbell the same person? I mean, they are each "nin Nish" so it seems like solid ground, but I'm looking for confirmation that it is more likely true than unclear.

Question 2: What is the likely English rendering of Rev. Thomson's phonetic transliteration "nin Nishvicorish"

Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
'Nic' is the feminine of 'Mac', so it neans 'daughter of'. 'Nighean' means 'daughter' so I would interpret Nin Nish as meaning 'daughter of daughter of'. But I am no expert on Gaelic nomenclature.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Question 1: Not impossible, but equally not certain. Naultan/Aldan is on the Parph near Grudie, about four miles by foot from Sango, but there was only one Neil MacLeod in the records, so it's likely the man in Grudie and later in Sango and Durine is the same man, and thus the same wife.

Question 2: "Nin Nish" means "daughter of Angus". "Vicorish" is mhic Sheoras - "son of George".

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Friday 11 September 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
Question 1: Not impossible, but equally not certain.  ... but there was only one Neil MacLeod in the records, so it's likely the man in Grudie and later in Sango and Durine is the same man, and thus the same wife.

thanks very much djct59. i appreciate the confirmation - it's not an air tight case, but is reasonable enough to state with some confidence moderated by some wiggle room.

also, there's this tangential older rootschat post by andy_smed from 2005, though it does not directly address my narrower question about jane campbell.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=45412.36

we're lucky that in 1779 rev. thomson suddenly began naming spouses in his baptism records. the three decade period in the durness register from 1779 to 1811 is a bit of a genealogy golden age in the parish due to the rich quality and quantity of baptism and marriage details that were recorded. rev. thomson was quirky and inconsistent in his spelling and his sentence construction, but marvelous at concisely including expressive detail.

[wr]
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Saturday 12 September 20 05:49 BST (UK) »
Naultan/Aldan is on the Parph near Grudie, about four miles by foot from Sango...

I see "Altanan" on the OS map, on the edge of the Parph where Allt Coire Freesgill flows to the southeast into Grudie River, and about a quarter mile northwest of Grudie. Is that likely the same as Naultan/Aldan?

[wr]

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Saturday 12 September 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
That's my understanding, and seems to fit with the marriage entry.

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Sunday 25 October 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
wilros, with reference to your Christina Munro entry on Wikitree you might find this page interesting if you haven't seen it before :-)
http://cmy.iay.org.uk/resources/scullomie.htm

Offline meanno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Thursday 21 January 21 21:20 GMT (UK) »
BMAM73 - I presume you mean Angus MacKay MacEan'icIye (1749-1840), miller at Badlahavish, married to Barbara Manson from Reay on 16th November 1793 and interred with her at Arnaboll. That cemetery is virtually inaccessible now. The landowner makes it as difficult as possible to access it, even on foot. I've been there but it was not an easy trip.
The Angus MacKay, who was miller at Craigiemhulin and married to Catherine Morrison appears to be the same man, as he bears the same patronymic, has the same trade, and all his children with Catherine were born between 1778 and 1780. As you know, there is no record of their marriage in the parish register and his birth predates the birth records by fifteen years.
Referring back to this post last April, would I be right or wrong in assuming that Angus Mackay's alias maceanicye (also spelt in the DPR maceonicye and macenmhiclye) indicates that his father was called John and his grandfather was called Iye?
I ask the question because in the Book of Mackay (page 292) there is mentioned a Major Iye Mackay of Keoldale who had a son John in 1723 which would make him the right age to be Angus's father and in the right locality. Obviously impossible to prove but with the Book of Mackay tracing a line back to c.1085 it is fun to speculate.