Author Topic: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.  (Read 33581 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in April - Our ancestors' anniversaries. Please join in.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 April 13 05:03 BST (UK) »
Today is the birthday of my dear mother, Joyce Cicely Sims, who passed away April 8th 2008.

My lovely Mum's birthday too. She died in 2010 and I think about her every day.

Today - the 4th of April - my lovely daughter's 18th birthday.  :)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 April 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
Today in Newton, Methlick, Aberdeenshire, my 3 x great grandmother, Christian Crichton was born, daughter of William Crichton and Mary Brechin. She married James Raitt in 1832.

Christian was either a good and saintly woman, browbeaten or just a little bit of a pushover. This is putting today's values on her, which I know I ought not to do but honestly, she had several children with James Raitt and then went on to raise, as her own, the babies who were born as a result of his extra-marital affairs. Not sure exactly how many but it was either two or three, possibly including my own 2 x great grandmother. She died in 1871 in Old Machar.  I'm quite fond of Christian, in that way which I know several of us have when it comes to the ancestors. Some simply strike more of a chord than others.

In 1894, Bedale a 1st cousin x 2, Ethel Lynn was born. She married Raymond Burton and died in 1956, in York.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 April 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
First a bit of info about one of yesterday's ancestors:

William Collett my 3 x g.grandfather died in Union House Workhouse, Shipmeadow, Suffolk, in 1846 aged 87.  In 1841 he was a widower living with a family in Barlow Green, Stradbroke (who might have been his daughter and son in law, I’m still trying to find that out) and working as an agricultural labourer.  I don’t know when he went into the workhouse, I imagine he found it impossible to keep working and supporting himself so he had no option, or maybe his death from “old age” meant he was suffering from something like dementia.

Funny how doing this sets up a chain reaction.  I asked a question on the Suffolk board about 2 apparent daughters of William and found that the "daughter" he was living with in 1841, was in fact his daughter, but that she died later that year, hence his move to the workhouse I guess.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 April 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
Lots of ancestors today for both my husband and me.

Annie Elizabeth Collett my 3rd cousin once removed was born in 1896

Elizabeth (Betty) Moors my husband’s 2 x g.grandmother was born in Werneth, Stockport, Cheshire, in 1811.  Werneth became Compstall in 1897 when the population was less than 875, and then in 1936 it was abolished and divided between Bredbury and Romiley.

Matilda Whittaker my husband’s g.g.aunt was born in Denton, Lancashire in 1833

Maud Ellen Shalless (nee Cockett) my g.aunt was born in 1884.  I actually met Aunt Maud as she was known, although I don’t remember seeing her until after my gran died in 1949.  She isn’t on the list of mourners at my gran’s funeral, so I guess she must have just read about her death in the newspaper and contacted the family.  She was my gran’s sister in law.  She was the only one of her siblings to live to a relatively old age and was 74 when she died.

Elizabeth Mowforth (nee Alden) my g.aunt was baptised at St James’ Church, Hull in 1878.  She was the youngest daughter of my g.gran from her first (and probably only) marriage.  My g.gran’s husband was shown as deceased on Elizabeth’s birth certificate.

Mary Stanton (nee Baxter) my 5 x g.grandmother was baptised in Heckington, Lincolnshire in 1746 according to Familysearch.  However, I’ve searched on Lincstothepast, from 1740 (3 years before her parents married) to 1750 (she married in 1765) and cannot find her baptism, although I did find the baptisms of her siblings.

Blanche Badams my husband’s 4 x g.grandmother was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Warwick in 1764.

Elizabeth Hobson (nee Lodge) the 3rd wife of my g.g.uncle was buried in Southern Cemetery, Manchester in 1941.  Oddly, the only daughter of her husband’s first marriage was buried in the same grave in 1949.

James Postlethwaite my 5 x g.grandfather was buried in Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1781

Harry Dawson & Minnie Gertrude Heaton my husband’s maternal grandparents were married  at Christ Church, Bradford, Manchester in 1896

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
The 15th census of the United States of America was on the 4th April 1930. They showed my great great grandfather Robert McEwan (born McKeown) aged 67 with his second wife Elizabeth Robertson (maiden name Cochrane) aged 71. Their address was Fourth Street, Bicknell, Knox County, Indiana. The Americans have come up with many innovative ideas but street names it seems wasn't one of them. They were first married when she was 45 and him 41, though he was actually first married aged 20 to my then 16 year old great great grandmother Hannah.
He emigrated in 1893 according to the census, hmm, he may have first gone in 1893 leaving his pregnant wife and four kids behind but I know he must have popped back. He married Elizabeth in Scotland in 1903, declaring himself a widower despite the fact Hannah was very much alive.
I also have him coming back one time on the SS Indiana. This was the same ship that American president and Civil War leader Ulysses S Grant used on the first leg of his 1877/8 world tour.
The census says he was born in Scotland as were his parents but this is wrong. His parents were Irish and he was born in Coalisland, County Tyrone. His family moved to Scotland sometime between his 3rd and 6th birthday.

The same census shows his elder brother William, also born in Ireland living in Rayne Township, Indiana County, Pennsylvania with his Pennsylvanian born wife Mary Chapman. He had arrived in 1883 aged only 20 and seems to have married almost immediately. His children were all born in America. All had left home by the time of this census and Wiliam and Mary were renting a property for $11 a month.

I probably know more about this family than any other in my ancestry but it would fill a book, so I will split it up to relevent dates ;D

Here is my great great grandfather and his second wife, beautifully coloured by Cazza59. He appears to have a lazy right eye, this is something I have inherited, though it isn't as lazy now as when I was a child.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 April 13 09:31 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1895 in Kensington my gt. uncle, John Richard Kingsman, son of John and Annie (nee George).  He was the first of their 10 children.  John served in WW1, as did his father, and was wounded in his thigh which ended his service and he was given a SWB; as was his father who was gassed.
John married in 1917, at St. Clements, Kensington, Lily Beatrice Hill whose brother Charles later married John's sister Annie. His occupation then was shown as munitions worker.  John and Lily and 4 children;  their second child George lost his life in WW2 on HMS Lancastria.  John died in 1957;  Lily remarried a few years later and died in 1975.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 April 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
1882 - Christopher Lynn was born in Bedale. 1st cousin x 2 of whom I know very little.
1956 - Walter Lynn died in Claro, West Riding    "             " of whom, even less.

1968, in Inverness, my paternal grandfather, John McIntosh Howe died, aged seventy-one. He was a bit of a feckless soul, my granddad. Sometimes he had loads of money and the family could live in a middle-class Aberdonian manner. At other times, there was nothing and they lived hand to mouth. He was all of five feet tall and had a way with him which scared the wits out of his small grand-daughter. " Boo to you to" he would announce and I would scuttle, shrieking in terror, to the safety of my mother's skirts. As with all my grandparents, I wish he had had the good grace to stay alive for long enough for me to get to know him better. As it was, with him living in the north of Scotland, we hardly ever saw him so I have only a few memories.

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 April 13 11:50 BST (UK) »

I wish he had had the good grace to stay alive for long enough for me to get to know him better.

Ditto to that genjen, my maternal grandfather died before I was born and I've since found out unnecessarily due to a wrong diagnosis. Like yours, a wee man 5' 2".

On April 5th 1840 my great great grand aunt Agnes Brown was born in Bo'ness. She had four brothers and just the one sister, my great great grandmother Janet.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 April 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
Both of my maternal grandparents died before I was born. I can get so cross with them for their lack of consideration. Hardly their fault though - grandfather died as the result of an industrial accident and grandmother from lack of knowledge and adequate medical care.