Author Topic: Antonio Godfrey  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Antonio Godfrey
« on: Sunday 31 March 13 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have an Antonio Godfrey (b ? ( as it changes in diff census) 1828 and  d 1914 Chatham) who married Mary Wright (b Chatham 1835-1838, d 1917 Chatham) in 1856 St Mary's Chatham Kent. I am able to follow these in later census. before marriage - Mary is in poorhouse in 1851 and with parents (Thomas and Sarah) in 1841, while in 1851 Antonio has a travelling cart in Chatham but can't find him in 1841. Can you?
On their marriage certificate Antonio's father has the same name and is listed as musician, but I cannot find him anywhere - can you help?
Antonio (b 1828) seems to be a pedlar and with gypsy encampments all over the souteast until lots of children ties him to become a fishmonger. Could he be a gypsy? or could he be Jewish?
Any help would be welcome.. Thanks
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SheilaSOC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Antonio Godfrey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 20 01:49 BST (UK) »
He is my great-grandfather, christened 15 June 1828 at St Mary Newington, Southwark. His mother Sarah Godfrey married Joseph(?) Chaves in 1826. He and Mary Wright had nine or ten children including my grandmother, Maud Marion who died in 1923, and Sarah (1866-1958) who married William Irons and lived in Chessington (I knew them when I was a child). She said that Antonio's father was a Spanish violinist, and that when he left his wife she reverted to her maiden name.
The 1861 census has Antonio, a pedlar, and his wife Eliza (that's a mistake for Mary), and daughters Eliza aged 5 and Emma aged 1 in a cart and tent at Hampton Wick. They would have been working at Hampton Court fair over Easter. In the 1871 census he is a fishdealer in Chatham and they carry on living there.
I've got more names but not much else. I haven't found Antonio's father either.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
Antonio Godfrey Chaves born 4 February 1828 baptized 15 June 1828  St. Mary Newington
Father Joseph Chaves professor of music, mother Sarah
address St George's.

Do you think the story got confused over time as Joseph was the music professor
and Chaves is a Spanish surname

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila and welcome to Rootschat.

Jane MB hasn't been on here since Feb 2019,but as long as she hasn't changed her email address will be notified that we have posted here and hopefully will come back online and reply.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SheilaSOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 20 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you. It makes sense of the family memory (Antonio's daughter, Sarah) that Antonio's father was a music professor.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 20 10:05 BST (UK) »
I found 11 of the 12 children Mary says she had in 1911 9 living 3 deceased
registered Medway

Eliza Wright 1856 (just before they married illegitimate)
Emma Godfrey 1859
Caroline 1862
Thomas 1864
Sarah 1866 registered Kingston
Maria 1869
Ellen 1870
William 1872
Alice 1875
Maud Marion 1878
Frederick 1880

ADDED
Joseph Chaves married Sarah Jane Godfrey 9 May 1827 at St Mary Newington
Witness Edward Owens and Mary Ann Owens

Offline SheilaSOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have some names for the next generation. Sarah and her husband William Irons (1865-1963) had two children - William (about 1890-1931) and Gladys (1894-1984). They lived in Rochester, New York, in the 1910s or 20s and then in Chessington. Maud Marion (died in 1923) married Daniel O'Connell (died 1935) and they had two children Frederick (1908-1995) and James. Frederick (died 1962) had a son called Frederick Antonio (1910-2002).

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
Wow !
Thanks so much for the info. Fortunately, my email was updated a while a go, so I received this today. Pleased to see the "separation" info, that helps understand why I could not find a marriage. And pleased to find the name Joseph Chaves.
Sheila - My husband's family comes via Antonio Godfrey + Mary Wright, Eliza Godfrey +Richard Tillman, Eliza Tillman + William George Baker was his great grandfather( whose brother  George William married Eliza's sister Maud Alice!) .
amondg - Perhaps the father's name of Antonio on the marriage certif was just a cover so he did not disclose the separation of his parents, esp as his mum was living locally and calling herself Godfrey. Doesn't really help when gathering evidence many years later! But i'm glad these two stories have linked and made sense.
Thank you both.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SheilaSOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
All very interesting - and complicated. I love the idea of having Spanish blood but haven't been able to find more about Joseph Chaves. Will keep trying.