Author Topic: occupations  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
occupations
« on: Monday 01 April 13 04:24 BST (UK) »
Looking for family,Ballyragget keeps popping up.Unusual name Wedlock,but they were here in Kilkenny and in Cavan according to Griffiths, Rootsire, Irish Times, Applotement,1901 and 1911 census.But for the life of me I can not pin down the birth or marriage of William Wedlock b c1821 who is ?? said to be the son of John Wedlock and Mary Murphy.William married Elizabeth Smith b c1821.Imagine looking for Smith and Murphy in Ireland. ::)But surely Wedlock would stand out.And that's another thing,you search for Wedlock and most of the replies are "out of wedlock" surely not in Ireland!!!!Life is a bit of a strain sometimes.Any help out there in the ether? Forgot,William was a miner,John possibly farmer

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: occupations
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure why this topic is entitled occupations   ???

A little more to clarify the family being searched for:

Name: William WEDLOCK b abt 1821, a miner
Said to be son  of: John WEDLOCK (farmer) & Mary MURPHY
Married: Elizabeth SMITH b abt 1821
Left Ireland for Scotland between abt 1848 and Jan 1851 (during Famine)

William died : 1882, New Monkland, Lanarkshire age 70, an accidental fall,  (informant son Thomas)
His death Certifictate name only his father, John WEDLOCK Farmer, deceased. There is an RCE noted on the Death record though - was the correction to put in his mother's name?

Elizabeth died 1889, Airdrie. Father Thomas SMITH and mother Agnes SMITH ms not stated. Informant is again, son Thomas.

How does Ballyragget come into it? (a small town in County Kilkenny in Ireland. It is situated along the river Nore in the north of the county. It is located in the province of Leinster in the south-east of the island of Ireland),

I can only ever find reference to 'Ireland' - have you seen a reference to a more specific location?

Census 1851: Roughcraig Farm, New Monkland, Lanarkshire
William & Elizabeth 30, b Ireland.
Children: Margerete 13, Thomas 8, Esther 3, born Ireland and  William 2 mths b New Monkland

Census 1861: New Monkland:
Will'm 40 & Elizabeth 42 with children: Thomas 18, Esther 12, (all b Ireland), Will'm 10, Richard 8, Mary Ann 4.

Census 1871: Crosshead, New Monkland
William & Elizabeth 50, b Ireland
Son: William 18, Plus 2 male Boarders by names of CARR and SHAW.

Census 1881: Burnside Cottage, New Monkland
William 66 & Elizabeth 63, b Ireland
In household of married son Thomas 37, b Ireland his wife Margaret 31, and children Joseph 11, Margaret 5, Thomas 2, Matthew 7 mths.

Of the 3 Irish born children - none left any Census  'message' to where they were born in Ireland.
Margaret died 1860 age 22 (Mrs James BAMRICK)
Thomas died 1895, Dalserf, age 52.  His 1891 Census only said Ireland as pob.
Esther died 1867, age 19.

What was their religion?

(PS: I checked to see if there were any WEDLOCK births registered on SP in 1855, just in case - sadly, not that I could find)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
re occupations
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 13 21:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ambly, forgot to ask the basic query.Were there any mines of any description around Co. Kilkenny.The information you have garnered,I do have,and you are right, there is no indication as to where in Ireland they came from.But, Irish Times and Rootsire,Griffith's Valuation  FMPire all show Wedlocks only in these 2 counties:Kilkenny and Cavan.It is John Wedlock who ??married Mary Murphy I am trying to find,and the birth and marriage of William.He was a coal miner in Scotland and so wonder if that was his occupation back home.ALL of my ancestors were Irish and miners,so it follows that there may very well have been mining in their counties.hope this is a little
clearer.Re births in 1855,Richard Wedlock my gGrandfather was born that year.Kilkenny Wedlocks were mainly RC while the Cavan ones were generally C of Ireland

Thanks
Irishseeker

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
yes there was a large coalmining industry in castlecomer area  which is approx 11km from ballyragget. :)
Sorry Ambly, forgot to ask the basic query.Were there any mines of any description around Co. Kilkenny.The information you have garnered,I do have,and you are right, there is no indication as to where in Ireland they came from.But, Irish Times and Rootsire,Griffith's Valuation  FMPire all show Wedlocks only in these 2 counties:Kilkenny and Cavan.It is John Wedlock who ??married Mary Murphy I am trying to find,and the birth and marriage of William.He was a coal miner in Scotland and so wonder if that was his occupation back home.ALL of my ancestors were Irish and miners,so it follows that there may very well have been mining in their counties.hope this is a little
clearer.Re births in 1855,Richard Wedlock my gGrandfather was born that year.Kilkenny Wedlocks were mainly RC while the Cavan ones were generally C of Ireland

Thanks
Irishseeker

Offline Irishseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 13 05:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks all Another clue in Ireland.Thanks "conahy calling" and "ambly"

Offline clairew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks all Another clue in Ireland.Thanks "conahy calling" and "ambly"
Hi irishseeker, I'm new to this site so not sure what I'm doing and not sure you will see this but could you possibly pm me, I'm pretty sure I have some info on the people you are tracing.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 18:08 GMT (UK) »
You need to make two more posts before you can use the PM system, anything will do.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline clairew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Offline clairew