Author Topic: John Mow  (Read 7226 times)

Offline babygirl101

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mow
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 April 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
As promised ... I've just received a very swift reply from SP

"What you are seeing is a list of receipts/accounts and it is quite likely that the only record of a marriage at this time might be a receipt for the money paid for the banns to be called.

As this was before statutory registration , it was up to the parish clerk or clergyman what was recorded. Obviously in this case only the financial details were noted or have survived so I'm sorry but this will be the only record of this marriage or assumed marriage".

From the reply it looks as if John may have been married before, making the 2 children Mary & John  by his first wife.

BG  :)
Murden - Warwickshire & Nottinghamshire
Bower - Nottinghamshire (mainly Newark)
Crowder - Mansfield Nottinghamshire & Devon
Price - Newark,  Nottinghamshire
Ingleton - Skillington, Lincolnshire
Smith - All parts of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Lincolnshire especially Wisdom Smith, Robert & Evening Smith

Offline Molle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mow
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 10:08 BST (UK) »
I am directly descended from John Mow's second marriage. His first was to Marư, but sadly we don't know her surname. They had 3 children, a son also named John who died without issue, and 2 daughters Mary and Hannah. It may help your search to know that the family at that time often used the accepted alternative spelling of 'Moll' for their name. If you have any success I shall be most grateful to share the information, as I am updating the Family Tree. Best of luck!!!