Author Topic: Berry Family DNA Project  (Read 2773 times)

Offline langolier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Berry Family DNA Project
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 18:41 BST (UK) »
This message is directed to all Berry (all spellings) surnamed persons.

I am co-coordinator and webmaster of the Berry Family DNA Project, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~langolier/BerryDNA/dna_home.html, which at present has 44 members. 

Unfortunately, all of our members to this point are from the States.  From these, we have identified 21 separate and unrelated Berry lines but very few, if any, have been able to connect back with England.

I know it would help us, and am hopeful someone over here will be able to recognize and point out how participation by English Berry folks will help further your genealogical research also.

I invite you to take a look at the site and consider joining and being tested.  The test is a simple oral swab but since the object of the test is Y-DNA it can only be done on males.  You ladies will need to find and enlist a Berry surnamed father, brother, uncle or cousin to take the test for you.

As always, the downside is that the test is not free.  Our tests are administered by Family Tree DNA.  You can also take a look at their price schedule from the site to determine if it would be worthwhile to join.

Please take a look, and I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the  Project that you might have.

Thanks,

jim berry

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Berry Family DNA Project
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was a Berry. I'd be happy to participate but don't know if that would exclude me.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline langolier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 05 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

We'd be glad to have you but in order for you to participate you would need to  find a living male Berry surnamed cousin that you could sponsor.  Obviously, it would be good to have confidence in your 'paper' connection to him. 

In addition to the matching of the markers of the Y chromosome, matching of the surname is an important factor.  We do have a 25 marker match to a different surname that we are presently investigating and think that there may have been an 'informal' adoption in the form or one family raising another's child.

Testing a Berry cousin would not verify your Carver line but it any matches could verify the Berry portion of it and lead to the discovery of cousins stateside.  I don't know how anxious you would be for that result but I'm sure it would be very exciting for the discovered cousin over here.

Thanks for your reply,

jim berry

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 05 14:36 BST (UK) »
Okay. I will ask my uncle who was actually raised by his aunt and uncle (a male Berry) and who still lives in Grimsby where my gg grandfather settled with his 14 children. There should be one living relative in the area.
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline langolier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
That would be great, Nick!

I'm fairly certain that my roots are Irish or Scots-Irish but we have several participants in the study that are of English descent.  To the best of my knowledge none of them have yet made the connection back to England.  A match would be very exciting!

Hope you are able to find one.

Thanks,

jim

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
My Berrys originate from Cheshire - Altrincham to be exact, so perhaps an e-mail to the secretary of the Cheshire FHS to pass on to any Berry members (if there are any) would be worthwhile.
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 July 05 11:29 BST (UK) »
I take it you are familiar with one of the better known members of the Berry family - William Berry, the official hangman in the 19th Century? I believe he was a Yorkshireman, so probably not related to my Berrys
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell