Author Topic: BIRKDALE FARM REFORMATORY SCHOOL, AINSDALE - 1902 - 1912 MR WEBB  (Read 3206 times)

Offline LancsLad85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BIRKDALE FARM REFORMATORY SCHOOL, AINSDALE - 1902 - 1912 MR WEBB
« on: Wednesday 03 April 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there can help. My g.g.grandfather, Edward Webb, was listed on the 1911 census as being the Head School Master (his brother, Thomas Webb, and sister-in-law are also listed as clerk & infirmarian). In 1912, his contract was terminated and he was given two months pay because he refused to supervise the children on his day off (due to his injustice he then "used language before the boys calculated to lead to insubordination, and the following night there was a disturbance at the school.") (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1912/jun/18/birkdale-farm-school-dismissal-of )

I'm was wondering if anyone out there has a photo of Birkdale School. I've googled and only found a few pictures taken last January of the semi-demolised building.
Any other information on the school would be greatly recieved, Edward went on to join the Kis Liverpool Regiment then the Royal Flying Corps as a Drill Sergeant (disciplinarian).

Thanks in advance

Ben

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BIRKDALE FARM REFORMATORY SCHOOL, AINSDALE - 1902 - 1912 MR WEBB
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:52 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=138-364cat&cid=0#0

Hi, and welcome to rootschat, the link above will tell you a bit about its history. Google streetview has a slightly earlier view, the modern buildings on the right were playing fields.
the house on the extreme left is the headmasters house, and the dormer windows in the roof are a later addition,
It was actually a pleasant building, mostly known locally as Tommy Moore's

perhaps a fellow rootschatter could turn it into a proper link,as I am still unskilled at this  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
Oh, the link works, how did I do that :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

The school was known as the Sir Thomas Moore School (or Tommy Moores as Mazi said!)  There are a couple of photos of it on Google images.  These were taken after thef fire which gutted the building.  There is a new housing estate on the site now.  Southport Library opens again this week after refurbishment so it might be worthwhile contacting them to see if they have any old photographs.  The telephone number was 01704-533133 (via Sefton Council) so will still probably be the same.  If you live a long way away and prefer to write, the Library is on the corner of Lord Street and Eastbank Street. I don't know the number Lord Street but if you put just Lord Street that should find it.

Good luck!
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 16:59 BST (UK) »
I've wondered quite how/why boys ended up at that Reformatory School, or of course any such establishment. Two Keatings who might be mine, werepossibly there in 1881, and of course that means I can't trace them further back with certainty.
The names and dates for both fit with later information, but I can't imagine what they may have done to be lumbered into an institution!! Would it be crime, bad behaviour, lack of family, or what, I wonder.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 April 13 18:00 BST (UK) »
Local History Sefton has the photographs for the whole of the borough. Contact them at Crosby library and see if they have a photo of the Farm School.

Offline charleighcollin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I've wondered quite how/why boys ended up at that Reformatory School, or of course any such establishment. Two Keatings who might be mine, werepossibly there in 1881, and of course that means I can't trace them further back with certainty.
The names and dates for both fit with later information, but I can't imagine what they may have done to be lumbered into an institution!! Would it be crime, bad behaviour, lack of family, or what, I wonder.

I know this is years after you questioned this, but I found this through a Google search of Birkdale. I'm also wondering what they would have done to get into a place like that. My great-uncle is meant to have been there in 1911, but it doesn't seem as though he was a bad kid from what family stories tell us... wonder if for some kids it was just the school to go to? His mother (my great-great grandmother) wanted him raising catholic and wouldn't budge on his education... surely, there would have been other catholic schools, right??
Currently researching:

Collin, Kerry, Kelsall, Rushton, Turner, Schofield, Bell, Wright, Drury and Rowston in the UK.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 20 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Since I posted that, I suspect that it was that their mother had died, and their father re-married, and they had become "surplus to requirements". Sad, but that sort of thing happened. Thanks.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 October 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
On the www.childrenshome.org.uk there is an entry about the Birkdale Farm R C Reformatory School, Ainsdale complete with some photos.There are some records for the school at Liverpool Archives. As far as I am aware boys would have had to have done something to be sent to the school. There is a lot of information on the site that you might find explanatory.

I found it quicker to just google Birkdale Farm School to get into the site.