Author Topic: The Nicholson family from Glasgow/Govan  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Scotty227

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Nicholson family from Glasgow/Govan
« on: Thursday 04 April 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I wonder whether anyone can help...

My GG Grandfather was William Nicholson and according to his marriage certificate, he was born in Glasgow in 1837 and his father was John Nicholson (a mariner).

William became a merchant seaman and he settled in Bristol around 1861.

Can anyone please provide me with any other facts or details about the Nicholsons pre 1861?

Many thanks.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Nicholson family from Glasgow/Govan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 13 01:15 BST (UK) »
Where and when did he marry?

Was his father recorded as still alive?

Offline Scotty227

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sancti - thanks for your reply.

William married Louisa Burge on 22/10/1865 in St.Nicholas Parish church, Bristol.  On the cert, his father (John) was quoted as a Mariner but was not deceased at the time.

FYI, William appears as an 18 year old lodger on the 1861 Census (in Bristol), but no other members of the Nicholson family are with him.

I have found him in all the other later Censuses apart from 1881 - but as he was a mariner, it's conceivable he could have been "at sea" on that night, as I have found where Louisa and the family were living.

On all the Censuses, William's birth place is always (simply) "Scotland".  However, on official ship's logs that I have, the crew list says he was born in Glasgow and also Govan.

(One final point, and just to muddy the waters, in the 1911 Census, William's birth place was stated as Hawick, but I don't believe this to be correct because of the information I have on the crew lists.)

Thanks for trying to shed some light on the family, Sancti.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can find something pre-1861.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
Scotty,  Nicholson's frequently have a Skye origin, Nicolson often Shetland, but spelling varies. Both lots were inclined to join the merchant navy. Check the National Archives in case he pops up there for any reason.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

This site is a great resource for Shetland Nicolson's,  I'm looking for one myself,

http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline Scotty227

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 April 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Skoosh.

I'll see whether I can find any info within the links.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 April 13 22:23 BST (UK) »
How certain are you that William's father was a John? There is no William listed in the SP indexes 1835 to 1840 in the county of Lanark (I looked also in the RC indexes, but nothing came up there either). That doesn't mean, of course, that there wasn't such a birth. It only means there isn't a record of the birth/baptism.

Interestingly, there only one William Nicholson of around the right age in Govan in the 1841 Census returns. The first problem is that William's father had died before the census:

RD 646 Enum Dist 7 Page 1

Widow Jean Nicholson 25 [i.e., 25-29 - ages of those aged 15 and over were rounded down in the 1841 Census returns]

Agnes (spelled Agness by the enumerator) 10

John 7

William 5

also in the household were: John Freebairn 60 [60-64], a mason (perhaps Jean's father, though relationships were not given in the 1841 Census returns) and James Nicholson, 40 [40-44], a miller.

The only other problem is that this is the family of a William Nicholson and Jean Freebairn who married 25 May 1829 in Paisley (District of Abbey) 25 May 1829 and had issue (all born within the parish of Barony, Lanarkshire)

Agnes b. 18 Oct 1829, chr. 6 Dec 1829

John b. 18 Oct 1832 chr. 18 Nov 1832

William b. 25 Jan 1835 chr. 15 Feb 1835

What you have to do is look at the original records on <a href="http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk">ScotlandsPeople</a> and see from there whether the father was a mariner. If he was, then this might be relevant for you. You would have to work out whether you were on the right track from other supporting evidence ... Was there confusion at the time of registering the marriage? Could the John actually have been Jean's father? (if the John Freebairn in these returns was indeed Jean's father). Or there could have been another mistake commonly found in the records - a misunderstanding about generations ... perhaps William's grandfather was a John ..... One other avenue of research would be to look at all the marriages of a John Nicholson within a reasonable timespan (1815-1835 or so) anywhere in the country and see if any of them were mariners, but that could be inordinately expensive! They might have been a family that did not have their children christened (but, then, where was that William in 1841?). You also say "On the cert, his father (John) was quoted as a Mariner but was not deceased at the time". Actually, that doesn't necessarily mean that. It could well be that the registrar did not ask whether William's father was still living.

I also searched in England 1841 (just in case!), but there were simply too many entries to look at each one individually ... There was a William Nicolson, 5, son of John and Agnes Nicolson in Dunrossness in the Shetlands, but that John was a fisherman/farmer (crofter/fisherman), certainly not someone who would be described as a mariner.

Offline Scotty227

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi eilthireach - and thanks for your reply.

I've re-checked William's marriage cert and his father is definately "John" - my eyes weren't deceiving me!

I'm not quite sure where this now leaves me as William himself has stated in the crew list that his birthplace was Glasgow, so I have to assume this and his father's name, to be true.

And I thought this was going to be a relatively straightforward look-up!!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

Just wanting to clarify - the marriage certificate of William Nicholson in Oct 1865 gives the info that his date of birth is 1837?
But the 1861 Census lists him as 18 years old? That means a year of birth 1842/1843.
Perhaps he was born later that you believe and made himself older when he married for some reason.

There is a Nicholson family in the Scottish 1851 Census at North Leith -
Father James Nicolson - Mariner age 54 born Shetland
Mother Janet Nicolson- age 51 born Shetland
Son Christopher - 29 - seaman born North Leith
Son James   - 25- seaman born North Leith
Daughter Elizabeth - age 16 born North Leith
Son William - age 9  born North Leith.
I know it's not Glasgow and the Father's not John but I thought it worth drawing to your attention.

Looby

Offline Kasia Marchlinska

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 19 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to the mystery of Nicholsons from Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
This is a grave in Warsaw, Poland, evangelical-reformed cemetery:
John Nicholson born 18 oct 1832 Barony, Lanarkshire died 1 nov 1916 in Warsaw.
At the moment I do not have a better picture,

Best regards,
Kasia