Author Topic: jones of celynin  (Read 4238 times)

Offline jere

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
jones of celynin
« on: Friday 09 July 04 14:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to tracegt.gt.gt.gt.grandfather david jones born abt.1807-1808 in celynin married a margret roberts of llanenddwyn born abt.1810-11 her fathers name was william roberts can anyone tell me where celynin merioneth is i have tried to look at a map but can not find it. any help much appreciated.
                       jere. :'(
jeremiah monmouth,jones,roberts  llanddwywe-is-y-graig,jones llanaber,williams llanidloes,tucker wiltshire,jones merioneth, jones machen, hughes tredegar, herbert montana u.s.a.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: jones of celynin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 04 01:10 BST (UK) »
Celynnin is the parish centred on the village of Llangelynin. If you go to one of the map sites such as http://multimap.com/and use the Post Code
LL37 2QL in the quick-search box you will be shown a map of the general area.

The only David Christened in Llangelynin Church in the period 1807-1808 is David the son of Evan Griffith of Pant Gwyn by Elizabeth his wife on July 31st 1808.

This MIGHT be your man. In rural Merionethshire during this period people didn't use surnames they used patronymics. Because 99% of the population spoke only Welsh, but parish registers had to be kept in English their Welsh patronymics were translated into English.

The name Dafydd ap Ifan can be translated into English as either David Evans or David Jones, so David the son of Evan Griffith may have been recorded as David Jones in latter life.

Offline jere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 04 10:21 BST (UK) »
thank you very much for the info on david jones celnin so does this mean i have to look at griffith as the name now or jones.
                  jere. :D
jeremiah monmouth,jones,roberts  llanddwywe-is-y-graig,jones llanaber,williams llanidloes,tucker wiltshire,jones merioneth, jones machen, hughes tredegar, herbert montana u.s.a.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 04 03:15 BST (UK) »
Neither, this is where Welsh family history gets complicated.

There are no surnames.

The next generation you have to look for is an Evan or John who is the son of a man who's first name  (not his surname) is GRIFFITH.

If you find him and the father's  name is Griffith WILLIAMS (for example) you then have to find a Griffith who is the son of a William XXXXXX and so on :'(

Offline jere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 04 14:02 BST (UK) »
thank you once again for helping me, Inow know what to look out for as the years go on.
                 jere.