Author Topic: marraige cert look up please cornwall  (Read 1169 times)

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
marraige cert look up please cornwall
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 22:36 BST (UK) »
hi could anyone do a quick look up for me trying to confirm age of my grt grt grt grt grandfather james dewar married in april 1816 to jane brown in maker cornwall his death cert has given an age that has thrown right off course so would like to confirm his age if poss
many thanks
krissy
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marraige cert look up please cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 09:58 BST (UK) »
A parish marriage record in 1816 would be unlikely to give his age, unfortunately.  See http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/registers/indexf.htm for examples.  The only time I've seen ages given were in cases where the person in question was not of age (in this case sometimes the father's name is also given as he would need to consent to the marriage).

What you would get would be the names of witnesses, who might be relatives.

How far off is the age on the death certificate from the one you have from other sources (from censuses, I suppose?), and who was the informant on the certificate?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
Re: marraige cert look up please cornwall
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
hi there
thanks for your reply re the death cert his age is out by either 5, 10 ,15 or 20 yrs every census has him at different ages.in 1851 he was 75 yet in 1841 he was recorded as 56 yrs old  he married in 1816 and had at least 5 children i suppose it is possible at such a late age it also corresponds with the death cert which states an age of 80 in 1855 but it looks a bit odd, his wife jane brown was a widow prior to marraige so cant even check her as i dont have a maiden name , james dewar did join the navy in 1809 and left in 1823  making him 25 on joining i know this is possible but still seems a bit old, having the fact that he was born in sterling and checking the lds there wernt many james dewars born around the dates that we can consider so its quite a mystery, going back to the death cert it seems that an in law registered the death so cannot be completley trustworthy.
thanks for any help you can give he really is a pain and getting to be hard work im screaming up the walls on this one, hee hee
thankyou again for your time
krissy
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright