Author Topic: Looking for Daniel Samuel Hunt a 'Sea Captain'  (Read 19730 times)

Offline jamkid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Daniel Samuel Hunt a 'Sea Captain'
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Huntfam,

How nice to hear from you!

I have only a little bit more information about Janet Hunt to share with you.

She was baptised on 4 November 1906 in Pinjarra. I have the date of her death as 26 June 1981 in Bicton, WA.

I have reference to her marriage to Hubert Ward on 30 April 1924 in Beverley, and there’s a newspaper article describing the event in the “Bruce Rock Post and Corrigin and Narembeen Guardian” of 23 May 1924. I can send you a copy if you like.

Janet was one of a large family of siblings, as already outlined, and much of the information I have about the Hunt family has come from the son of one of Janet’s brothers, Samuel Daniel Hunt. He is living in Perth and I’m sure he would be delighted to get in touch with you.

Perhaps if you make another post we could message one another privately?

I believe there was a breakdown in the relationship between your grandmother’s parents, and her mother died on 1915 when Janet was very young. This may explain why you are not aware of all members of the extended family. I’d love to know any other details of Janet’s life that you could share.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Offline Huntfam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamkid,
Yes, I'd love a copy of that clipping.
Janet was only 73 or 74 when she died, so that's around 1977/78.
We think she was put into foster care/adopted and did not return to her mother. Don't know who this foster family was.
So there was a big chasm and Janet seemed pretty cut off from the rest of the family. I think she went to a few family gatherings later on, but details are non-existent, apart from a mention of Daniel Hunt, who offered her travel opportunities.
Will see if I can send a PM after this post.
cheers!
Huntfam

Offline Dancuz12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I just came across this post by chance, I hope you don't mind me joining in. Janet Hunt (nee Marr) was my great great grandmother.  Shortly after she arrived in Australia and before she met Daniel Samuel, Janet gave birth to my great grandmother Amy (July 1892) Amy’s father is listed on her birth certificate as Thomas Watson.  It was the belief of Amy that her mother was sent to Australia because she was pregnant and unmarried.  I haven’t verified the dates that Janet left Scotland and arrived in Australia so I’m not sure if that is true or if she could have possibly fallen pregnant on the way.  There is also a birth record for a girl called Margaretta born to Janet Marr & Canello Petunis in 1895 but she then seems to have evaporated as I can find no trace of her after that.
Amy had three children, Stephen, Stella & my grandmother who was also named Amy. None of the three have a father listed on their birth certificate and Amy snr never told them who he was or if it was the same father for all of them.   My grandmother had a warm relationship with her ‘uncle’ Samuel Daniel Hunt & he told her that he and some of his siblings were certain that their father Daniel Samuel Hunt had also fathered Amy Snr’s children including my grandmother but they couldn’t prove it.  My family has never understood what Amy snr was doing in Esperance when my great aunt and grand mother were born (its approx 720km from Perth) but I now know that she was with Daniel Samuel Hunt and he in fact registered both of their births - not that it proves anything, we will never know.   My great uncle was born in 2011 in Fremantle, my great aunt was born in 1914 & My grand mother in 1915, just two months after Janet passed away in Perth. 
 I would love to learn more about this side of the family and connect with some distant relatives to share information!  If anyone knows the dates that Janet was in transit between Scotland & Australia could you please let me know? 
Jodie Daniels

Offline jamkid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jodie,

My great great grandmother was Janet Marr’s older sister, and I have been researching Janet’s life as part of my family history.

Janet left London on 16 February 1892, sailing on the SS Echuca. Her trip was arranged by the United British Women’s Emigration Association and she travelled with a group of female emigrants destined for Fremantle. She arrived on 30 March 1892 and found immediate employment as a domestic servant with Mrs Wolff of Perth.

This arrangement was likely to have been over quite quickly if she had her daughter Amy in June ( the record I have seen gives Amy’s birthdate as 10 July).

Given the dates, it seems likely that Janet was pregnant before leaving Scotland, although I’m not sure how far in advance the arrangements were made, and how long she stayed in London before travelling.

If you would like to make another post I can try to send you a personal message with my email details so that we can swap notes!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jennifer

Offline Dancuz12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

It would be lovely to hear from you! 

I’ve just checked and you are spot on - Amy’s birthdate is 10th July 1892.  Janet’s first work arrangement in Perth must have been over quickly!

Hopefully this message allows you to send me a personal message. Let me know if not & I will try again.

Jodie.

Offline jamkid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 16 September 18 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jodie,

I think we need another post to activate the personal message feature. How about replying to this and we can try again.

So glad we are both talking about the same people!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Offline Dancuz12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 01 October 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer, 
Sorry about the slow response, I didn’t get an email notification from the last message or perhaps it went to my junk mail. Hopefully this message will allow us to personal message :)
Cheers,
Jodie.

Offline Greenros

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 15 February 19 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I discovered this group while searching for info on Janet Marr who was my great great grandmother - I have struck gold! Have been trying for some time to find extra information about my grandmother's family - so thank you. Dancuz12 - I believe we are cousins - my grandmother is Stella Perkins (nee Marr) your grandmother's sister. Is there some way I can contact you and swap info on the family in WA - are you in Perth? Thanks everyone for the info - you have made my day! - Ros.