Author Topic: Thomas Armstrong c1750-1793 Irthington  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Kazzalady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Armstrong c1750-1793 Irthington
« on: Saturday 06 April 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am researching the Armstrongs of Wetheral and Irthington.  In particular I hope someone can help with the date of birth, place of birth and parents names for Thomas Armstrong born c1750.  He died aged 42 in 1793 at Newby and was buried at Irthington.  He married Jane Bowman in 1784 at Irthington and his marriage record shows his age as 35 and that he was a miller from Wetheral.  There was only one child from the marriage, Thomas born 1785. (My 3 x great grandfather)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Armstrong c1750-1793 Irthington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 13 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Kazzalady,

There was an old message board post in April 2008 which you may or may not have seen regarding Thomas Armstrong,  will post just incase. 

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ARMSTRONG/2008-08/1219098041

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Trevor108

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kazzalady,
You asked for information a while ago re. Thomas Armstrong and Jane Bowman of Irthington.
I do not have much information about Thomas but there are extensive pieces of information about Jane. She was being supported by the parish before she married and I could supply you a list of the payments etc.
Like you I am also descended from their marriage

Offline Kazzalady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Trevor108

Wow, any information about Jane Bowman would be greatly appreciated.  I still haven't found anything further on Thomas Armstrong but still looking  :) Which one of Thomas Armstrong and Ann Thompson's children are you descended from.

Karen

Offline Trevor108

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 April 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
First Thomas Armstrong's mill
My investigations locate the mill at Ordance Survey grid ref 508623. On the map this is described as a 'motte'. The present day buildings are not the original ones and talking to the owner they couldn't shed any light to their date. They look Victorian. The earliest map I can find is the 184? Tithe map which clearly shows the mill and fish ponds next to it.
Second. I am descended from Thomas Armstrong 111. I believe that he had 12 children and the 7th was Isaac who only had one child a daughter Mary Ann who is my great grandmother.
Third Jane Bowman
She was very poor and consequently supported by the parish. There is a detailed list of payments to Jane between the years 1751 and 1773. I read it that Jane also had a mother called by the same name so it is difficult to understand who received which payments. James's father Robert and uncle??? Thomas received payments but in their case it was for the making of coffins and one shilling a time for a fox head.
I have typed up all of these records from the originals but how do I send them to you?
Tell me how and I will forward them
Lastly I have traced Robert's (christened 24.3.1718) father as Edward Bowman de Koulholm. Can't find his birth date but his eldest son was Johan (christened 9.1.1709) which puts Edward firmly into the 1600s
Hope this is all useful
Trevor

Offline Trevor108

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 April 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
Karen
Forgot to ask!
Who are you descended from?

Offline Cin65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thomas Armstrong (c1750 Irthington) is my 3rd great grandfather. I am a descendant of his son Jacob Armstrong.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information on Thomas since this original discussion.

Planning a visit from Australia to the area in May this year and keen to know more.

Thanks

Offline Kazzalady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cin 65

I have just read your post and am excited to see it.  I am also descended from Jacob Armstrong.  I see that you live in Australia (as do I) and am wondering if you are also a descendant from William Armstrong and his wife Annie Forster.  They are my great grand parents. If you are, here's hoping,  I have a lot more information about our ancestors.

Karen 

Offline Cin65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I am also a descendant of William Armstrong.

My father is Donald Armstrong, his father is Oswald Fergus Armstrong.
Oswald Armstrong's father is William Armstrong.  William is my Greatgrandfather. How exciting. I can't wait to hear what you have.

I am actually going to the UK in May this year and am planning on visiting Irthington, Carlisle. Any other information you have will be so much appreciated.

Thanks for replying, I am so excited. By the way I live in Brisbane.