Author Topic: George Gedge, born Brazil, married England. Died Timmins, Ontario?  (Read 6385 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Gedge, born Brazil, married England. Died Timmins, Ontario?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Johnathan Gedge was born 13 October 1850. Briggate Mill, Worstead, Norfolk. Son of Christopher Gedge and Sarah Ann Spanton. He was a “Sinker” by trade at the time of his first son’s birth in 1889. A sinker is not a coal miner but is part of the crew that build a new shaft downwards for a new coal mine, deep enough for the miners to fan out and dig into the coal seams. That perhaps explains why he was in Brazil in that he had a special skill. He married Margaret Senior at the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Chester-le-Street, County Durham. 23 April 1889. Margaret  daughter of John Senior and Elizabeth.

1st Son was Christopher Gedge born, The Terrace, Birtley, County Durham, 25 August 1889. Christopher Gedge married Agnes Strain 1911. Agnes died 1918. After her death Christopher is known to have been in Burma on and off for 20 years.

2nd Son was Joseph Gedge, born 1891 and married Lily Johnson 1912. Joseph was born in the Pelton area of County Durham and research continues on him.

3rd  Son was John Gedge, born East Stanley, Stanley, County Durham 11 October 1892 and baptized in the Primitive Methodist Church, Stanley, 1 December 1892.

4th Son was George born in Brazil and his details are mentioned previously. It is very likely that father Johnathan died or was killed (accident?)  in Brazil.

I found no record of any child born in Brazil or the death of Johnathan in Brazil. Any indication of company records would be useful!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 00:45 GMT (UK) »
It appears Margaret remarries in England in 1906 (and becomes Margaret Doy).

George Gedge appears on the UK Consular Birth Indexes, 1891-1895 place Morro Velho, Volume 10 page 210
Jonathan Gedge appears on the UK Consular Death Indexes, 1901-1905, aged 49, place Morro Velho, Vol 11 Page 197. 

These certificates can be ordered through the GRO.  Jonathan's death certificate might be particularly of interest to see if he died from an accident or illness, etc.

In terms of archives relating to the mine (lots of good background info but not it seems, any easily accessible lists of employees for the time Jonathan was working there)
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/benson/stjohndelrey/
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utlac/00096/lac-00096.html

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the additional information on the Gedge family. Everything fits perfectly. Johnathan must have seen the same views as taken on the photographs of the mine.

George's birthday was 17 Dec 1893 at the mine.
Johnathan death was probably in 1901 at the mine.

Widow Margaret married John Doy in 1906. John was baptized 1 April 1861 at Edgefield, Norfolk, son of Thomas and Mary Doy of Edgefield.

Offline scottie77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Johnathan Gedge was born 13 October 1850. Briggate Mill, Worstead, Norfolk. Son of Christopher Gedge and Sarah Ann Spanton. He was a “Sinker” by trade at the time of his first son’s birth in 1889. A sinker is not a coal miner but is part of the crew that build a new shaft downwards for a new coal mine, deep enough for the miners to fan out and dig into the coal seams. That perhaps explains why he was in Brazil in that he had a special skill. He married Margaret Senior at the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Chester-le-Street, County Durham. 23 April 1889. Margaret  daughter of John Senior and Elizabeth.

1st Son was Christopher Gedge born, The Terrace, Birtley, County Durham, 25 August 1889. Christopher Gedge married Agnes Strain 1911. Agnes died 1918. After her death Christopher is known to have been in Burma on and off for 20 years.

2nd Son was Joseph Gedge, born 1891 and married Lily Johnson 1912. Joseph was born in the Pelton area of County Durham and research continues on him.

3rd  Son was John Gedge, born East Stanley, Stanley, County Durham 11 October 1892 and baptized in the Primitive Methodist Church, Stanley, 1 December 1892.

4th Son was George born in Brazil and his details are mentioned previously. It is very likely that father Johnathan died or was killed (accident?)  in Brazil.

I found no record of any child born in Brazil or the death of Johnathan in Brazil. Any indication of company records would be useful!

Hi,
     Thank you so much for the information. I can fill in some sections. Christopher Gedge was my Grandfather, and as you say, he married my Grandmother, Agnes Strain. They had three children, namely, My uncle Jack, my Aunt Margaret (known as Peggy) and then my mother, who was Elizabeth (but informally known as Betty). Unfortunately, her Mother ,Agnes, died very soon after my Mother was born, so my Mum did not really know her Mother at all. It was left to their Grandmother (Margaret) to bring them all up.
    My Uncle Jack went on to marry Jenny Brewster, my Aunt, and they had two daughters Doreen and Joan, who are my cousins and who are still living in the Newcastle area.
    Peggy married and had a son, my cousin, who is called Robert (Bobby).
    My Mum moved to Scotland, where she met and married Robert Burt and they had only one child, namely myself, called Ian Burt.
    Now for Joseph, the second son. He, as you say, married my Aunt Lily, and they had an only daughter called Rhoda, who was my Mum's cousin. Rhoda married Robert Robinson and they had two daughters named Rosalie and Heather. 
    Now for the third  son, namely, John, well I know from my Mum, that he was killed in an accident in the Mine where he worked. I also know from my Mum that his father (Johnathon) was ,  also killed in an accident in the Mine.
   I do not know exactly when the family moved back to the Newcastle area, but you are correct again, saying that my Great Grandmother Margaret, did remarry, and to a gentleman by the surname Doy. I remember their son, named Tommy and he married a lady called Maud(I did not know her maiden name), but they did have a daughter called Elaine, who unfortunately died a few years ago.
  I would like to thank you for all the information which you have provided. If it is possible, I would like to contact any of George's family, if just to say "hello".  Thank you.
  If you think that I could provide any other information, it would be my pleasure to do so.         

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 November 13 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Strain (married name Gedge) was born in Durham City, 13 November 1891 and was baptized at St. Godric (RC Church) in Durham City 3 December 1891. She was the daughter of James Strain (1842), Donegal , Ireland, and wife Bridget Hughes born 25 November 1852, Glasgow. Lanarkshire, Scotland and baptized St. Andrews, Glasgow, 27 November 1852.

Bridget died 18 July 1895, County Hospital, Durham City.

"Tommy" (Thomas William Doy) married Maud Mayhew, 1933.

Tommy died in the Gateshead area, 1993.

Maud (Mayhew) Doy had her ashes scattered at the Birtley Parish Council Burial Ground (Lamesley, County Durham) on 6 March 1972.

I will ask a few questions in another post.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Johnathan Gedge (1850-abt 1901) was baptized twice, once in Worstead, Norfolk, 12 June 1851 and the other in Horning, Norfolk, 17 June 1855. It is the Horning baptism that gives his birthdate, 13 October 1850 (actually at Briggate Mill, Worstead). Parents Christopher Gedge and Sarah Ann Spanton.

John Gedge (1892-?) seeems to disappear. I cannot find his death or a marriage, in any place, or a mining/any accident for him. Any suggestions?

For some reason Christopher Gedge (1889-1950) died at 28 Letham Terrace, Airth, Stirling, Scotland, 4 August 1950. The Informant on his death certificate was his son Jonathan who was a resident of Birtley, County Durham at the time of the death. What was Christopher doing/living with to be in Scotland in 1950?  According to his death certificate he never remarried after Agnes' death.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 November 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
There is a 1893 shipping list for a Gedge family (details not given on the index) which is probably yours.
Also another possible set in 1897 including "John".  In 1913, George and John appear to both head to Brazil - George makes several later trips - it appears Annie does as well - but 1913 is the last

The Consular Death Indexes, which I mentioned before has having Jonathan's death and George's birth on them, also show John Gedge died in Morro Velho, aged 23 (1911-1915 deaths page 79).  Again, these certificates can be ordered from the GRO but it seems likely that John, like his father, worked and died at the mine there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 November 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
The 1913 passenger list of John and George that jorose referred to lists both of them as being "rock drillers" on the image of the manifest, and they were both taking up Brazil as a permanent residence. There is not much else of note on the document, other than ages (George 20, and John 21)

I did manage to find one more sailing for Annie Gedge, and 3 girls which may be of interest:
Departed Liverpool on 01 Mar 1929, destined for Buenos Aires, Argentina. Ship name: Darro
The were listed as departing at the ship at Rio.  Their last address in the UK was Bermersyde, Durham Rd, Birtley Co Durham.
Annie's age is 32, Margaret is 7, Mary is 5, and (Jeanne? Jennie?) is age 1. Last country of permanent residence is "foreign country", and country for intended permanent residence is Brazil. 
They were travelling first class.

Looking on FreeBMD, I can only find a match for the girl Mary's birth in Durham, which lists mother's maiden name as Lee.  Margaret and the "Jean" remain a mystery!

Perhaps these daughters names will help in your search.

Possibly related is a 1930 sailing on 31 October, ship name Laurentic, from Liverpool to Canada:
Annie Gedge age 35
Margaret Gedge age 9
Mary Gedge age 6
Elsie Gedge age 3
The last known UK address was 4 Hawk Terrace, Portobello Bentley Co. Durham
Canada is listed as country of intended permanent residence.
They were travelling third class, and disembarked at Quebec.

I tried to find a Freebmd birth for "Elsie" that would fit, and no luck.

There is a sailing for a George Gedge on 18 Sept 1930 to Canada, occupation: engineer, age 36 with the same address, except instead of "Bentley Co Durham" it says "Birtley Co Durham".  Ship name was Doric.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 November 13 05:20 GMT (UK) »
From newspaper "The Evening Independent" (St. Petersburg, Florida)
Issue: May 21, 1975

Annie Gedge
Mrs. Annie Lee Gedge, 79,  4911 14th Ave.N,  died Tuesday (May 20, 1975).  Mrs. Gedge was born in Birtley, England, and came here 13 years ago from Bisbee, Ariz. She was a member of St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church.  She is survived by three daughters, (names removed as they are still living) and five grandchildren. C. James Mathews Funeral Home is in charge.

For a copy of the image, pm me an email address!