Author Topic: George Gedge, born Brazil, married England. Died Timmins, Ontario?  (Read 6413 times)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Gedge, born Brazil, married England. Died Timmins, Ontario?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 November 13 05:29 GMT (UK) »
George's obit

Sunday Independent - Issue Apr 8, 1962 (St Petersburg, Florida)

George Gedge, 64, former resident of St Petersburg, died Friday in Bisbee, Ariz.
He was a safety engineer for Phelps-Dodge Copper Co., Arizona and a member of the Protestant Church.
Survivors include his wife, Nancy, and three daughters, (names removed as they are still living)

C. James Mathews Funeral Home is in charge.
----------

Not too sure why the "Nancy", or the "Peggy Bisbee"... I guess Peggy still lived in Bisbee at the time?
If you would like an image copy, pm me an email address.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 November 13 19:48 GMT (UK) »
From newspaper Newcastle Journal
Issue: Friday 09 July 1915

Birtley Man Killed in Brazil

Mrs. J. Day, 9 George Street, Birtley, has received
word that her son, Mr John Gedge, was
accidentally killed on June 7 at Marro Vellio
Mines, Brazil, by falling down the shaft of the
Mine.  The deceased, who was 22 years of age,
left Birtley two years ago.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 16:34 GMT (UK) »
What a treasure trove of of information I have received from you all. Starting from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle. 50 words of pure genealogy. I will add to the article a fuller version. Mrs John Doy, wife of John Doy, formerly married to and widow of Johnathan Gedge, maiden name Margaret Senior ............ .

So John Gedge the Gedge/Senior son left Brazil as a child and returned there as an adult. Probably the mine would not take him until he was 21.

The St. Petersbugh newspaper mention "Nancy" I believe this was a typo for Annie. I had concerns that there was divorce but probably not. The 1930 ship's manifest gives the best names for all of the children of Annie Gedge. Goodness knowns why husband and wife did not travel together. The later obituaries of famiy members give the old fashioned Mrs. John Smith type names for the daughters. So they are fairly useless to put which daughter to which husband.

I do not have any knowldge on the living relatives as this family is linked to me and not related. Except for Scottie77 who is the only family member so far to reply. 

County Durham Electoral Registers are filmed to the late 1990's. Not indexed but hopefully I can find some of the adresses mentioned by you all and find out who were the other occupants of the address. and I can reply on Rootschat with them.

Thank you all - Barry

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 December 13 20:29 GMT (UK) »
The last of the children unaccounted for is Joseph Gedge was born 11 JAN 1891 at E Pit Birtley, Ouston, Pelton, Durham, England. Parents Johnathan Gedge and Margaret Senior. He married 31 AUG 1912, West Pelton, Durham. There are differences with his wife's name but she is on the GRO Index and Durham Registrar's Index as Lily Johnson. Joseph died 22 NOV 1973, Birtley, Durham.

Offline AndKam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 April 21 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone can fill in any details about Margaret Gedge (nee Senior/ latterly 'Doy'). She was my great grandmother (Tommy Doy, my grandfather, Elaine Doy, my mother). My dad, Richard has researched a fair bit of our family history.

I'd really like to know if anyone has any knowledge/ family stories about Margaret - especially WHY she went to Brazil in the first place?

Thanks, Andrea