Author Topic: Help finding birth & death certificates for James Taylor & Ann Clark 1780's  (Read 10555 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding birth & death certificates for James Taylor & Ann Clark 1780's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 April 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,

Could this be baptism for your Elspet Clark, I just love the info in the "Notes".

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=7776620

used parameters :-

BAPTISMS for Surname = clark Forename = elspet Date = 1763 +/- 0 County = Banffshire

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 April 13 13:06 BST (UK) »
In Scottish parish records married women are always given their maiden names. That means Elspet Clark is more likely an aunt or sister. "William Clark Hilton" will be William Clark. Hilton is his address. James Clark Junior could either be a cousin, or a brother, if Anne's father was also James.

Often the best way to sort out this kind of thing is to look at all the Clark baptisms/marriages in the parish and see who the witnesses are.

Offline Craig1985taylor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 April 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,

Could this be baptism for your Elspet Clark, I just love the info in the "Notes".

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=7776620

used parameters :-

BAPTISMS for Surname = clark Forename = elspet Date = 1763 +/- 0 County = Banffshire

Tom

I dont think this could be Anne Clarks mother as she wouldnt be old enough? Anne would of been born about 20 years or more before her marriage in 1788? Plus Clark wouldnt be her mothers maiden name?
Taylor (Cullen, Banff)
Eddison - Mitchel (Cullen, Banff)
Clark - Andrew (Rathven, Banff)
Flett - Campbell (Findochty, Banff)
Elder - Stewart (Lossiemouth, Morray)
Noble - Forbes (Footdee, Aberdeen)
Smith - Russell (Footdee, Aberdeen)
Roberts - Green (Twyning, Gloucestershire)

Butt (Kidderminster, Worcestershire)
Hartshorne - Goodall (Broseley, Shropshire)
Moore - Mallard (Kidderminster, Worcestershire)
Brooke - Shin (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire)
Weaver - Cole (Kidderminster, Worcestershire)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 April 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,

I think GR2 is correct, Elspet maybe an aunt, cousin or a sister even.

The marriage of James Taylor and Anne Clark is here:-

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=2302728

used the parameters - 

MARRIAGES for Surname = taylor Forename = james Date = 1788 +/- 0 County = Banffshire

Tom

PS Just noticed the age differences, our posts crossed.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Craig1985taylor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 April 13 13:21 BST (UK) »
In Scottish parish records married women are always given their maiden names. That means Elspet Clark is more likely an aunt or sister. "William Clark Hilton" will be William Clark. Hilton is his address. James Clark Junior could either be a cousin, or a brother, if Anne's father was also James.

Often the best way to sort out this kind of thing is to look at all the Clark baptisms/marriages in the parish and see who the witnesses are.

Oh i didnt realise that! Looks like im back to square one with who James Taylor & Anne Clarks parents are!
Taylor (Cullen, Banff)

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 April 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
yes ive found witnesses to marriages very helpful as they were usually close family members like siters and borthers -

however not always the case (talking of marraiges only here not baptisms) my gt gt grandfather was witness to 7 marriages on one day same church , he was owner of the quarry where -the people worked - so when you scroll down if you find the same witness to a few marriages its often someone who war 'around'at the time

I wish our English parish records had more deatil on the baptsims they dont list godparents at the moment

Offline Craig1985taylor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 April 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
yes ive found witnesses to marriages very helpful as they were usually close family members like siters and borthers -

however not always the case (talking of marraiges only here not baptisms) my gt gt grandfather was witness to 7 marriages on one day same church , he was owner of the quarry where -the people worked - so when you scroll down if you find the same witness to a few marriages its often someone who war 'around'at the time

I wish our English parish records had more deatil on the baptsims they dont list godparents at the moment

Yes its sometimes hard to work out whos family & whos a friend on them isnt it? Plus I know what you mean about english records not having half the info the Scottish ones have, ive gone back a few generations more on my Scottish side then on my English side.
Taylor (Cullen, Banff)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 23:35 BST (UK) »
The marriage banns were called on 5 Aug 1788 at Deckfore, Banff 

I think you'll find it's Deskford. It's the next parish to the east of the parish of Rathven.

If the banns were called in two different parishes, it means that the couple were living in different parishes just before their marriage. At least one of the dates will be the date of proclamation of banns rather than of the wedding ceremony.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 June 13 00:38 BST (UK) »
My 4xgtgdmother is Janet CLARK daughter of James CLARK & Elspet ANDREW, who moved from Mains of Buckie, Rathven to Raemore, Deskford in 1771: their MI is in Rathven churchyard and is exceptionally informative although disintegrating fast. Although there is no baptism record for her, and no record of her death that I've found, there is highly convincing evidence that your Ann CLARK is sister of my Janet CLARK - the most obvious perhaps being her marriage in the Deskford OPR: "TAYLOR & CLARK: James Taylor in the Parish of Rathven & Ann Clark in Ramore having been matrimonially contracted, after regular procedure were married. Pledge returned."

I have estimated she was born in Jun 1759, almost certainly in Mains of Buckie. The witness Elspet CLARK you mention is Ann's younger sister, born 20 Jun 1776 at Raemore (and baptised at Rathven Episcopal church). And the baptism of James TAYLOR born 26 Feb 1795 in Knowhead was witnessed by James CLARK in Raemore who was Ann's brother who was well-known to the Kirk Session for having quite a 'complicated' life. James TAYLOR m Barbara FLETT, and I believe I'm right in saying that his brother William TAYLOR m her sister Margaret FLETT; another brother Alexander TAYLOR m Isabella HECTOR; and it seems likely that sister Helen TAYLOR m William GEDDES a grocer in Findochty (and not a relative of mine) although I've haven't got as far as checking this out.

I haven't identified William CLARK in Hilton but he could well be another sibling of Ann - William CLARK b Raemore, bpt 12 Aug 1774. Lastly, the witness to Alexander TAYLOR's 1798 baptism is yet another brother Alexander CLARK (who marr Isobel SHEPHERD and was a long-term tenant in Mid Skeith, Deskford.

Hope this is consistent with what you have already.