Author Topic: Looking for details of a shipwreck  (Read 1293 times)

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for details of a shipwreck
« on: Tuesday 09 April 13 11:15 BST (UK) »
On the gravestone of my 4x great gramdmother Mary McMonnies is the following:
".... David their son, Master Mariner, aged 34 years, Ellen Kissock his spouse aged 28 years, and David their son aged 18 months, who were lost off the Cape of Good Hope, 20th April 1859 ...."

Is there any way I can find out the name of the ship that sank, where it had sailed from, and where it was going? I'm very curious.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Lord, New Zealand

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for details of a shipwreck
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Googling brings up this reference but the date given is 27th April. The account clearly states the captain of the ship, his Scottish wife and their young son aged it says a year were all lost.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13027592

The ship was the Lady Head and there were three survivors. It is believed that swans that now inhabit the bay of St Francis came from the wreck of the Lady Head. The ship was returning from Rangoon to Liverpool.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
ithad a crew of 26 three suvived and the only bodies found were that of the captains wife and child they were burried in the sands

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 16:03 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this (in yellow on right)?
http://www.themilkwoodspeaks.co.za/daily/20042012.pdf

and an ebay listing  for the London Illustrated News which mentions the sinking of the Lady Head
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1859-Issue-ILLUSTRATED-LONDON-NEWS-8790-19-/160908246727

"Shipwreck and the Loss of 23 Lives (Mentioning the Ship Lady Head Homeward Bound from Rangoon to Liverpool Lost near the Mouth of the Kroome River there were 3 survivors named Charles Parrett Henry Gray and another"

It might be worth asking at your local library if they have access to the Illustrated London News (via Gale's Newsvault) - it doesn't appear to be included in the online version of Gale's 19th Century Newspapers.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 April 13 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for finding that information. It's quite a harrowing story :(

Offline sophiea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information, I am also a descendant of Mary McMonnies (4x great grandmother) and have been researching the Houston family. Does anyone have any information about Margaret Houston (I think it mentions her on the same gravestone) who died in Italy in 1856? Would be very grateful. Thanks, Sophie Argiros

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 March 17 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophiea
I'm descended from William & Mary's daughter Elizabeth, born about 1810. Think we are 5th cousins. I've got a copy of Mary's death certificate from 14th February 1863 but I only know about the other sons and daughters from the gravestone. It sounds like a really interesting (and unlucky) family. I have no idea why Margaret died in Italy but would be really keen to find out.
Best wishes,
Steve

Offline sophiea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 March 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Steve. Do you know all the children of William Houston and Mary McMonnies? Would be really useful for some research I am doing.

All best
Sophie

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie
The eldest child (as far as I know) was Elizabeth, born about 1810. According to some old family notes she was brought up at Chapel Farm just north of Tongland village. She married John Gillone who looked after the salmon fishery in Tongland. I'm descended from these two.
Other children (Robert, William, Margaret & David) I only know from the gravestone. I'm wondering if Margaret married an Italian and that's why she died in Italy, but I don't really know.
Which child are you descended from?
Best wishes,
Steve