Author Topic: Francis Smith, Vicar of Lowton  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Francis Smith, Vicar of Lowton
« on: Friday 12 April 13 11:17 BST (UK) »
Francis Smith was born in Islington, London, probably in the first quarter of 1859. I have the following from Crockford's Clerical Directory in 1938: Smith, Francis. Lon Coll of Div 1884. d 1886, p 1888 Liv. C of St Clem Toxt Pk Liv 1886-91, Rainford, Lancs 1891-94, Kirkby 1894-97. V of St M Lowton 1897-1917, R of Lowton, Dio Liv from 1914. (P Earl of Derby, Gross Inc 647L, net 610L and ?, pop 2043.) Rectory, Lowton, Warrington, Lancs (Tel Golbourne 38).

Francis married Mary Sang in Toxteth Park in 1894. I have the 1901 and 1911 census records.

Mary was born in Jesmond, Newcastle-on-Tyne in 1866, the daughter of Walter Sang (1836-1903), consulting engineer, Toxteth Park, and his wife Jane H Kent (1843-1934). I have all the census records for the Sangs, and their entries in the calendars of probate.

Francis and Mary had one son, Walter Smith (1904-1987). I have his birth and baptism details from the Lancashire Online Parish Clerk web site.

Does anyone know when Francis and Mary died, and where they are buried? Were there any obituaries? I have checked the Times online and the Lancashire OPC without success, but have been unable to access any Lancashire newspapers online so far.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Smith, Vicar of Lowton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 April 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
Probate calendar

Reverand Francis Smith of the Rectory St Lukes Lowton died 1 Nov 1938 at the eye and ear infirmary Liverpool. Probate to Sarah Ann Smith widow, the Rev Arthur White and Walter Smith lieutenant commander RN effects £3837 0s 9d.

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 April 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kevin. So Mary must have died and he remarried. I'll pursue that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 13 12:37 BST (UK) »
Walter was born 1904 and baptised as the son of Francis and Mary,
do you know when Francis left Lowton,as there doesnt appear to be a second marriage there,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 13 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a marriage for

Francis Smith and Sarah Ann Partoon in 1927 Lowton St Luke's
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

Heather

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I had found that one on FreeBMD and wondered if it was the right one. The fact that the site you suggest says it was St Luke's does seem to suggest it is the right marriage.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
Yes I was looking at that one to,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 April 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
Walter was born 1904 and baptised as the son of Francis and Mary,
do you know when Francis left Lowton,as there doesnt appear to be a second marriage there,

Thank you. However I don't think he did leave Lowton - the probate listing Kevin found implies that he was still the incumbent at the time of his death.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 April 13 12:58 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ann Partoon,
arrives from Rio,Argentina,into Liverpool
address the rectory Newton Le Willows
aged 57 years
10th December 1927