Author Topic: Francis Smith, Vicar of Lowton  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Smith, Vicar of Lowton
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 April 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
I took the dates from the modern day church site of St Marys Lowton,where there is a plaque naming the vicars of this church,I also am not up enough on titles of clerical men to give you a definate answer,have a little look at their site,interesting little bits of information,also Wigan world mentions Francis briefly in an article about burials of non conformists,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 April 13 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, both for the information and for the idea of looking up the church web sites.

The Lowton St Luke's Church web site says Francis Smith was Rector from 1914 to 1939.

I've tried the Lancashire BMD site for Mary's death, which can now be narrowed down to between the 1911 census and Francis' second marriage in 1927, but there isn't an obvious one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alexjbillig

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 15:24 BST (UK) »
I am late to this thread but I am descended from a brother of Francis, Sidney Smith (1860-1952). Francis wrote a book "Smith and Others" c. 1910 that has been a very helpful genealogical resource for me. Not sure whether you need any more on him, but he was son of William Smith (1821-1877), pawnbroker of Islington and Elizabeth Ann Smith (1832-1889), a cousin of William's. William is here in not much detail and not all of his 11 children (including Francis) have been added yet: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Smith-170277

Before becoming a vicar, Francis was in the family pawnbroking business (1881 census, Islington, Islington West, 1a, Piece 225, 1 Upper St, St Mary Islington).

I wasn't aware of Francis' second marriage or date of death, so thanks for the extra info. I thought "Partoon" rang a bell. I checked and Francis' great grandmother, who was Mary Smith née Cooper (b 1772), mother of another William Smith (1798-1869) who was the father of the younger William, had a sister Sarah Cooper who married a John Partoon of Buntingford, Hertfordshire. "Smith and Others" does trace these Partoons down a couple of generations, so Francis (the author) was obviously aware of that branch of the family more than 10 years before his second marriage.