Author Topic: Rae / Wright  (Read 10651 times)

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rae / Wright
« on: Wednesday 08 June 05 12:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for information about Robert Rae and Margaret Wright

Married 4 december 1868 in Jedburgh.

And their children:

Isabella  Mary Ann      29/5/1869 - 14/12/1871
Margaret                     23/3/1871
Elizabeth Wright         8/1/1873 - 10/6/1880
Jane                            7/1/1875
Sarah                          14/3/1877
Annie                           28/4/1879
Alice Helen                   24/3/1881
William                         16/6/1883
Walter                          26/6/1885
Robert                          29/7/1887
Georgina                      12/6/1889

Many thanks

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rae / Wright
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Thisty,...I have found a  ALICE HELEN RAE  and she was born /or Chr March 24 1881 in Jedburgh,Rox Scot and her parents were Robert Rae and Margaret Wright.
I'll keep digging!!  :)
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 18:46 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks......Alice is my great grandmother.  I managed to see Robert Rae's bible today and it seems that the list of children I originally posted above was inaccurate, I have amended that now to show the true names and dates of birth.
(I should really have realised that when my gt grandmother's name was not there).

Have also found out from the bible that Robert Rae was born 16/6/1847 and Margaret Wright 11/4/1849

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hey...good for you on seeing the Bible and making the corrections real fast.
If at all possible you should try and get a photo-copy of the written info in the Bible,that way the Bible can still stay with whoever has it,BUT you have an exact copy for your records..I was going to ask you about the two entries of Isabel and Elizabeth born within 24 hours and then dying on the same day,did not seem right.Even for twins..Glad it is straight now..Good info on the birth of Robert Rae and his wife Margaret.
Were they both born in Jedburgh?
Were all the 11 children born in jedburgh?
I'll bet those folks are also buried in jedburgh.
You will be able to find this family on the 1871 census,the 1881 census and the 1891 census.
You should also be able to find Robert Rae on the 1851 census living with his parents,probably about age 4 years old.
Margaret should be with her parents aged about at either 1 or 2 years old.
You are on the right track...keep it up.Stay in touch!
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
 I struck lucky with the bible I have to admit, I always thought my grandfather's sister had it but on talking to my mother today she told me that in fact SHE had it.

Both Robert and Margaret were born in Jedburgh as were all the children.  We THINK they moved to Hawick mid 1890's so both Robert and Margaret will be buried here, altho apparently my mother thinks they're gravestones were the victim of vandalism so we're not sure where.

I'll get looking into these census' as soon as I can.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Do you have death dates for Robert Rae born 1847 and Margaret Wright born 1849 yet.....just to keep things up to date.
Any parents names yet for these two people?
Keep searching...you are doing well.

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 05 18:24 BST (UK) »
No known parents for Robert Rae, Margaret Rae's parents MAY have been Walter Wright and Mary-Anne Chambers.

No death dates known as yet. 

The only other clue we have is that My great grandmother (Alice Rae) claimed to be the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter.  But we have yet to find any evidence of a Margaret Wright with 6 older sisters.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
The family could will be listed in the 1881 census and the 1891 census is also a real good bet.Is the 1901 census released in Scotland...if so...look on that too.As long as they keep appearing...great.Then when they do not...it narrows your search for their death down..
Looking at the childrens naming pattern,I too thought that Margarets father might be a Walter Wright.
Keep at it...

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 June 05 00:46 BST (UK) »
ok just an update.

Robert Wrights parents were William Rae and Margaret Laurie, married 19/1/1844

Margaret Wright's father was definately Walter Wright altho going by her marriage certificate her mother appears to be an Isabella Bell (altho the writing is a bit hard to decipher)

I'm guessing that as her name was signed "Bell" that she was not married to Walter?